Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sharp AL-1655CS "Replace the drum cartridge" error message

Wonder anyone can help me with my new Sharp AL-1655CS "Replace the drum
cartridge" error message.

I have already ordered the new drum and cartridge but it'll take a
couple of days to arrive but I need to use my printer desperately.
Anyway to reset the drum?? If so, what to do?

Any help is greatly appreciate.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

Wonder anyone can help me with my new Sharp AL-1655CS "Replace the drum
cartridge" error message.

Did you read the manual? Online? Often there is a manual reset in the menu.
However:

Pros: None
Cons: Extremely Poor Warranty Support
The Bottom Line: Avoid Sharp product until they modify their warranty
policies.

Full Review

I purchased a brand new unit from a major Canadian reseller of end of line
equipment. The unit was new in the box with full factory packaging (verified
during unpackaging). I was quite excited about adding this MFC to my home
office and immediately completed the on-line warranty registration for the
product.

When the unit was first powered on I received an error message that was
noted in the owners manual as requiring a call to tech support. I called the
listed tech support number and was able to go through troubleshooting within
5 minutes with the tech support rep (he was fabulous). After troubleshooting
the unit for a few minutes he determined that the unit looked to be a
factory DOA - as he was located in the US he was unable to offer me an
exchange or repair. He provided me with the case # and advised me to call
Canadian support and get them to help me further. I dutifully called
Canadian Tech Support where I was informed that despite providing them the
serial # on the unit and the case # from US support they were unprepared to
help until I faxed in an invoice.

It took me a few days to find the invoice (after wading through a bunch of
paper) which I faxed into Sharp as requested. I called Sharp to find out
that they only would honor the warranty if the unit was purchased through a
Sharp authorized dealer... that's all.

I was advised that if I wanted to contact consumer and corporate affairs
that was my perogative but that I had no recourse with Sharp.

Works Great Till it Breaks, April 10, 2006

Reviewer:Gadget Man "Gadget Man" (California) - See all my reviews

I had one for 6 months and was quite happy. Then the cryptic error message
came on and it wouldn't work. So took it back to Costco and got another. It
worked great for 10 days, and then had the same cryptic message. This is
non-repairable by the user. So you have to send it to Sharp for repair --
best not to buy it at all. I returned it and got a Brother 8640D - The
brother actually is much faster for scanning, copying and printing. Hope it
lasts.

MORE at
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-AL-1655C.../dp/B000799LRW