Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need a jumper cable to connect UPS batteries in series

Hi,

I know very little about electronic hardware other than PC components.
I have an Uninterruptable Power Supply whose original batteries ran out
of juice after several years. This UPS, the Patriot Pro II 750, uses
two 12V, 8Ah sealed lead acid batteries.

The UPS has two leads -- one positive, one negative. Each goes to an
individual battery. The original pair of batteries were jumpered
together in series to complete the circuit.

Problem: I lost the original jumper cable. I've purchased two new
replacement batteries. I need a cable to jumper them together. I've
searched the web and this has proven harder than I thought. Maybe I'm
not using the right terms. Or maybe this is so trivial that people
fabricate their own.

The SLA batteries have F1 terminals. I'm assuming I simply need a short
cable with F1 connectors at each end. I'm not really comfortable
fabricating my own for this kind of application (involving batteries).

Someone with more knowledge than I tells me that the jumper for this
UPS did not have a fuse, it was just a simple cable.

Any advice? Is there somewhere I can simply buy a short jumper cable
with F1 connectors? Is there someone who can put one together for a few
bucks? It's frustrating that this UPS is sitting here with brand new
batteries and I'm stuck because of my own error in discarding the
original jumper cable.

thanks,
Aaron

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

The SLA batteries have F1 terminals. I'm assuming I simply need a short
cable with F1 connectors at each end. I'm not really comfortable
fabricating my own for this kind of application (involving batteries).

Any auto electrical shop can do this for you in one minute or you can buy
the parts and crimp tool at an auto supply shop.

Someone with more knowledge than I tells me that the jumper for this
UPS did not have a fuse, it was just a simple cable.

Makes it simple and sounds reasonable. This is an easy job BTW.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

Problem: I lost the original jumper cable.

What does the manufacturer of the UPS have to say? They might send you one,
if they are still in business.

Or maybe this is so trivial that people
fabricate their own.

The fabrication part will be easy and requires easily obtained tools, wire
and connectors. If you don't want to make one, or feel uncomfortable doing
so, a number of people might be able to help you--electricians, car audio
installation companies, well stocked and knowledgeable electrical supply
houses...even a dead UPS might yield a usable cable if you can find one of
those.

The SLA batteries have F1 terminals. I'm assuming I simply need a short
cable with F1 connectors at each end. I'm not really comfortable
fabricating my own for this kind of application (involving batteries).

Use a wire that is similar in size to the the others that feed the
batteries. The same goes for the connectors. There's no fuse in this wire or
anything special like that. (If you were to look, you'd find the fuse(s) on
the main board in the UPS.) The only thing you'd have to be careful of while
you're working is an accidental short of the battery terminals. That's very
unlikely to happen.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee Lee is offline

wrote:
[...]

You can get cables like this at any good
automotive/snowmobile/motorcycle/etc. parts place.
If you are in Canada, go to Canadian Tire.
Regards
Lee in Toronto

wiring woes part two Staffbull UK diy 13 September 6th 06 11:45 PM
cable to connect thermostat Darren Smith UK diy 7 July 30th 04 06:06 PM
NICD vs NIMH batteries [email protected] UK diy 12 January 28th 04 01:09 PM
APC SmartUPS smoked with new batteries Jerry G. Electronics Repair 6 November 26th 03 07:17 AM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM