Bose Wave CD\Radio no sound

Old September 19th 06, 07:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Bose Wave CD\Radio no sound

My parents gave me their old Bose Wave CD\Radio which, after traveling
250 miles when they moved house, stopped producing sound. I've had a
look at it, and it powers on OK, all the functions work, but no sound
comes from CDs, radio or AUX input. I've checked that the system isn't
muted (a very helpful tip from the manual...) and it isn't. I think
something must have come loose inside during the journey. Occasionally
it will make a noise like speakers do when the volume is turned up high
but nothing is playing, a loud hum. They said it worked once after the
travel, and once it worked but was very quite. Unfortunatly the
warrenty has expired. Any ideas what might have come loose?

Old September 20th 06, 02:36 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
My parents gave me their old Bose Wave CD\Radio which, after traveling
250 miles when they moved house, stopped producing sound. I've had a
look at it, and it powers on OK, all the functions work, but no sound
comes from CDs, radio or AUX input. I've checked that the system isn't
muted (a very helpful tip from the manual...) and it isn't. I think
something must have come loose inside during the journey. Occasionally
it will make a noise like speakers do when the volume is turned up high
but nothing is playing, a loud hum. They said it worked once after the
travel, and once it worked but was very quite. Unfortunatly the
warrenty has expired. Any ideas what might have come loose?

The Bose Wave Radio is a very simply put together unit, and if you dismantle
it and take a look, it would not be difficult to spot any connectors that
had come adrift. However, I would think it much more likely that it has
taken a knock in transit, which has either broken a heavy component out of a
board, or cracked a board. A careful visual examination of the internals,
would have a good chance of revealing the problem.

Arfa

Old October 18th 06, 10:10 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've had similar trouble with my Bose Wave Radio, and after completely
disassembling it and thoroughly examining the electronics, see no
obvious problems. My clock and alarm settings appear fine, but when
the alarm goes off or I try to manually turn on the radio, the display
goes dark and you can just make out the volume setting. Cranking the
volume to the max (99) and listening closely to the high range speaker,
I can hear that the tuner is working amidst the background hum. Having
had this problem, I set the clock aside for a month, and coming back to
it, found it to be working normally. Surprised, I set it back up and
it worked for more than 48 hours before falling into its old ways. Any
ideas?

Old October 18th 06, 10:47 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Turbo" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've had similar trouble with my Bose Wave Radio, and after completely
disassembling it and thoroughly examining the electronics, see no
obvious problems. My clock and alarm settings appear fine, but when
the alarm goes off or I try to manually turn on the radio, the display
goes dark and you can just make out the volume setting. Cranking the
volume to the max (99) and listening closely to the high range speaker,
I can hear that the tuner is working amidst the background hum. Having
had this problem, I set the clock aside for a month, and coming back to
it, found it to be working normally. Surprised, I set it back up and
it worked for more than 48 hours before falling into its old ways. Any
ideas?

I'd hook up a DMM to the power supply and try turning it on.