Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laptop won't charge - plugged in too high voltage

Hello,

I was using my external universal battery on my laptop (19v), but then
I decided to work on my other laptop which takes 16v and I forgot to
switch the external battery to low voltage.

I didn't notice anything until the battery in the laptop starting going
dead, not receiving any power from the external one.

I tried plugging the ac adapter in, but now it won't charge.

The laptop is a fujitsu lifebook p2110.

I tried to open the laptop to see if anything looked fried, but it
seems like there's a trick to open it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? could it be just a fuse?

Thanks for your help.

Josh

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? could it be just a fuse?

It could. Google "Pico fuse" to see what the fuse might look like.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Here's a picture of the circuit...The bottom with the yellow tape over
it is where the power comes from.

(I have tested this, and the power is coming in.)

I'm not sure what pieces to test or which to look at.

http://smoothcontrol.com/temp/circuitboard.jpg

Josh

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi Bob,

I used the AC charger before I plugged in the external battery and it
worked fine.

AC charger no longer works either.

Josh

Bob Shuman wrote:
Are you sure the battery charger you found and used is the correct one for
that model of laptop?

wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's a picture of the circuit...The bottom with the yellow tape over
it is where the power comes from.

(I have tested this, and the power is coming in.)

I'm not sure what pieces to test or which to look at.

http://smoothcontrol.com/temp/circuitboard.jpg

Josh

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5 Sep 2006 07:49:13 -0700, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

Here's a picture of the circuit...The bottom with the yellow tape over
it is where the power comes from.

(I have tested this, and the power is coming in.)

I'm not sure what pieces to test or which to look at.

http://smoothcontrol.com/temp/circuitboard.jpg

Josh

There is a 6.3A smt fuse (F4) to the right of the 2-pin connector.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hmm.. Something doesn't look right at C488.. It is just above and right of
the 3rd smallest IC which says japan on it upside down in the pic. It is
also just right of the crystal that says 4.00MT on it. Looks as if the
capacitor that was there exploded.

There is also a fuse just below that labeled FS on the package and F1 on the
board. Check the fuse and check to see if C488 appeared to have something
there before.

- Mike

wrote in message
ps.com...
Here's a picture of the circuit...The bottom with the yellow tape over
it is where the power comes from.

(I have tested this, and the power is coming in.)

I'm not sure what pieces to test or which to look at.

http://smoothcontrol.com/temp/circuitboard.jpg

Josh

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:
Hmm.. Something doesn't look right at C488.. It is just above and right of
the 3rd smallest IC which says japan on it upside down in the pic. It is
also just right of the crystal that says 4.00MT on it. Looks as if the
capacitor that was there exploded.

I respectfully disagree.

If there was a component there and it fell off, there would either be bits of
capacitor contact pad or a capacitor pad shaped depression in the solder on
the pad. If the component had exploded, there would be some visible damage to
the PCB (and probably the tell-tale "something was here" indications on the
pad). The solder on those pads is slightly convex - exactly the sort of
profile you'd see if you melted solder onto a bare PCB pad.

If I was troubleshooting that laptop, I'd do a continuity check on that 6.3A
picofuse with my ohmmeter. If it read as an open-circuit (infinite
resistance), I'd replace the fuse, put the machine back together and try to
power it up.

The inductor underneath the picofuse appears to serve as a power filter, based
on its position in the circuit -- the input connector is wired to the inductor
(with some pretty hefty tracks) and the other side of the inductor goes to
what appears to be an internal ground plane and the picofuse.

--
Phil. | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
| Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G
http://www.philpem.me.uk/ | Tiger: Toshiba SatPro4600 Celeron700 256M+40G
No software patents! http://www.eff.org/ / http://www.ffii.org/
If mail bounces, replace "06" with the last two digits of the current year.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

hmm.. Well I don't know I can't tell from the picture for sure, but what you
say makes sense. What got me was the discoloration, but that could just be
some crud on the solder pads and board.