Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Mini Stereo Problem

My 5 year old Sony MHCMG110 mini stereo has a problem:

The volume knob control doesn't always work properly. Before I open it
up I thought I'd post here and get some guidance.

The volume level heard appears to correspond correctly with the digital
level displayed, which goes from 1 to 30, maybe higher. I never have it
higher than around 20. However, when spinning the volume knob those
numbers don't always advance or decline as expected. Sometimes they even
go backwards briefly!! When using the remote control, the volume changes
smoothly and properly.

My first thought was a slipping pulley, but how would that make the
volume go the wrong way? It doesn't go the wrong way a lot and not much
- generally one digit and only momentarily when spinning the dial. Maybe
it IS a spinning pulley. Anyway, this thing is pretty big and complex
what with all the features (and I'm therefore hesitant to open it):

60 CD changer
2 cassette bays, one recording auto-reverse
AM and FM

The speakers are separate (this is the stereo version, not 5.1 or 4.0)

I bought the service manual yesterday online (they emailed it to me) and
I printed it out. It's mostly full of the schematics, but there are
parts diagrams and 3D assembly/disassembly diagrams. Looking through the
whole thing I didn't spot anything that would directly relate to this
problem. I figure I can either live with it or open it up and try to
find the problem, maybe replacing a pulley or applying a rubber
rejuvenator (recommendations?). Or, I could get a learning remote and
use IT to change the volume (the one that came with the Sony has a kind
of weak signal). I'd rather fix the spinning control than have to use a
remote. Thanks for any guidance/help.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message

My 5 year old Sony MHCMG110 mini stereo has a problem:

The volume knob control doesn't always work properly.

Does it have a remote?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

That type of volume control uses LEDs and light sensors to detect
movement of a flat wheel with little holes in it. Either the holes have
become clogged with dust or the LEDs have gotten weak or coated with dust.
If you disassemble the control to clean it you may never get it back
together correctly or may cause it to stop working completely, so your
best bet is to use the remote control for volume adjustments.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jumpster Jiver" wrote in message

That type of volume control uses LEDs and light sensors to detect movement
of a flat wheel with little holes in it. Either the holes have become
clogged with dust or the LEDs have gotten weak or coated with dust.
If you disassemble the control to clean it you may never get it back
together correctly or may cause it to stop working completely, so your
best bet is to use the remote control for volume adjustments.

A can of compressed air?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jumpster Jiver wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

It's a rotary encoder constructed much like a vcr mode switch. No LED
involved. The encoder needs to be replaced, that's all.

$13.24 list from Partstore.com. Part number 1-473-392-11

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

1Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Jumpster Jiver wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

BTW the model number of the main unit is HCD-MG110.

mz

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 17:15:09 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
:
: My 5 year old Sony MHCMG110 mini stereo has a problem:
:
: The volume knob control doesn't always work properly.
:
oes it have a remote?
Yeah, read the OP. There's no problem when using the remote. It's just
that I have this thing in my kitchen and I'm always fiddling with the
volume and don't want to grab a remote every time I want to change the
volume. I guess I'm impatient and twist quickly - if I twist slowly,
it's OK. I figure a pully is slipping due to excessive force going
beyond the tolerance of the pulley at this point. Maybe I can tighten it
up by just applying some liquid rubber rejuvenator. I used to have some
of that stuff but it dried up in the bottle. The liquid medium was
evidently quite volatile. I seem to remember going to my local indy
electronics supplier and being told that for EPA reasons, the product
had been discontinued. That's why I asked for recommendations for a
product.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 01:18:20 GMT, Jumpster Jiver
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
[...]
Ah, that's one reason I posted. This thing is big and seems
complicated. I've opened a lot of stuff but nothing this complex. I do
have the service manual, but will think at LEAST twice before I start
taking it apart.

Thanks so much for your description of the mechanisms at work here. If I
go in there, I'll have an idea what to look for. Being in my kitchen
where I cook, there's dust and grease coated dust particles floating
around quite often. I occasionally clean off the unit of all the grease
that accummulates on the surface. Some of that has probably found its
way inside.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 01:34:46 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

:
:"Jumpster Jiver" wrote in message
:news:wf4Lg.1400$I71.645@trnddc01...
:
: That type of volume control uses LEDs and light sensors to detect movement
: of a flat wheel with little holes in it. Either the holes have become
: clogged with dust or the LEDs have gotten weak or coated with dust.
: If you disassemble the control to clean it you may never get it back
: together correctly or may cause it to stop working completely, so your
: best bet is to use the remote control for volume adjustments.
:
:A can of compressed air?

Possibly. It's worth a try.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:40:03 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

:1Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
: Jumpster Jiver wrote:
: Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]
Yup. Thanks again!!

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Jumpster Jiver wrote:
Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

Yep, no leds just a real cheap multiple on off rotary slider which gets
dirty with time. Generally sealed so no air or cleaner will help. And
usually requiring just about complete disassembly of the entire unit to
get at. Have fun
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message

oes it have a remote?
Yeah, read the OP.

That's a pretty sure clue it has some sort of encoder, and that's the
problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 13:12:28 -0400, tomh wrote:

:
: It's a rotary encoder constructed much like a vcr mode switch. No LED
: involved. The encoder needs to be replaced, that's all.
:
: $13.24 list from Partstore.com. Part number 1-473-392-11
:
: Mark Z.
:
:
: Yep, no leds just a real cheap multiple on off rotary slider which gets
:dirty with time. Generally sealed so no air or cleaner will help. And
:usually requiring just about complete disassembly of the entire unit to
:get at. Have fun

Oh, gee. Maybe it's not worth it to try to replace that. What is a
rotary encoder and how does it work? When I spin the dial slowly it
seems to work fine. It's when I spin it fast that it seems to "slip."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message

What is a
rotary encoder and how does it work?

Google for that term.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd....25680700573BC0

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 07 Sep 2006 19:52:57 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
:
: What is a
: rotary encoder and how does it work?
:
:Google for that term.
:
:http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd....25680700573BC0
:
Ah, thanks. I suppose the problem is arising because the light pulses
that are being detected aren't entire due to some dirt having
infiltrated the device, presumably dust or grease coated dust particles
in the case of my kitchen. So I guess the problem will worsen over time
and I may find myself trying to replace the encoder.

The diagrams in my service manual make it look accessible, but I'm not
at all sure. It might take a great deal of disassembly to get at the
control board, which is where the encoder evidently is. Even if I can
access that board, I have no idea how straightforward the process of
replacing the encoder would be. I have fair soldering skills of a pretty
conventional kind. I built a number of stereo components from kits when
I was in college. This might seriously challenge me, though. I just
don't know.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah - except your encoder isn't optical, just metal "feelers" which make
and break contact as they pass over the internal contacts in a circular
motion. The contacts get tarnished from their silver content, thus the
intermittent operation.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message

Yeah - except your encoder isn't optical, just metal "feelers" which make
and break contact as they pass over the internal contacts in a circular
motion. The contacts get tarnished from their silver content, thus the
intermittent operation.

In which case the cheap / easy fix is to spin it a lot.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 17:20:11 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

:
:"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
m...
:
: Yeah - except your encoder isn't optical, just metal "feelers" which make
: and break contact as they pass over the internal contacts in a circular
: motion. The contacts get tarnished from their silver content, thus the
: intermittent operation.
:
:In which case the cheap / easy fix is to spin it a lot.
:

It seems very much like when I spin it not very quickly it works fine.
It's when I try for a quick change in volume that it tends to slip. I
suppose it will only get worse over time. I presume there's no chance of
rejuvenating the current encoder, eh?

:

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message

It seems very much like when I spin it not very quickly it works fine.
It's when I try for a quick change in volume that it tends to slip. I
suppose it will only get worse over time. I presume there's no chance of
rejuvenating the current encoder, eh?

If it's bad contacts, moving it a lot may fix that. Otherwise you need to
blow tuner cleaner spray into it (not WD40). But no guarantees.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message

It seems very much like when I spin it not very quickly it works
fine. It's when I try for a quick change in volume that it tends to
slip. I suppose it will only get worse over time. I presume there's
no chance of rejuvenating the current encoder, eh?

If it's bad contacts, moving it a lot may fix that. Otherwise you
need to blow tuner cleaner spray into it (not WD40). But no
guarantees.

No guarantees indeed. For all the labor involved just to get to the thing,
it's best just to replace it. I've had spotty luck cleaning these things,
even using a fiberglass brush and Caig De-Oxit. The control is pretty well
sealed, so you can't just spray stuff in there, you have to take it apart.
Given all that, the best option is certainly just to replace the part.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Homer J Simpson wrote:
"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message

It seems very much like when I spin it not very quickly it works
fine. It's when I try for a quick change in volume that it tends to
slip. I suppose it will only get worse over time. I presume there's
no chance of rejuvenating the current encoder, eh?

If it's bad contacts, moving it a lot may fix that. Otherwise you
need to blow tuner cleaner spray into it (not WD40). But no
guarantees.

No guarantees indeed. For all the labor involved just to get to the thing,
it's best just to replace it. I've had spotty luck cleaning these things,
even using a fiberglass brush and Caig De-Oxit. The control is pretty well
sealed, so you can't just spray stuff in there, you have to take it apart.
Given all that, the best option is certainly just to replace the part.

Mark Z.

My Aiwa CX-NA888 bookshelf audio system, bought new almost seven
years ago, has the same problem. I would simply use the remote to
adjust the volume and put up with what little aggravation this might
cause. (It seems to me the control on yours is basically working, if it
will change the volume smoothly as long as it is rotated slowly; mine
is like that too.)

I've seen a round component through the air vents in my system which
might well be the volume control. As Mark Z. said, though, if the
control in yours is sealed tighter than a drum (it wouldn't surprise me
if it was), your chances of getting any kind of cleaning solution in
there are slim to none. If your system basically works otherwise, I'd
just either use the remote for volume up/down or simply be careful how
fast the knob on the unit is turned. These sealed controls are not
meant to be cleaned, repaired or anything else other than replaced when
they go bad. Too bad, but that's offshore engineering for you these
days--replace, don't repair.

Jeff, WB8NHV (email address not shown to deter spammers)
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA