Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default stuck elevator?controller or motor bad?

why do elevators get stuck in general? is it their computer which goes
haywire or is their motor which overheats?

would you exit an elevator between floors? couldnt an overheated motor
start working again and squash you ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

komodore comrade wrote:
why do elevators get stuck in general? is it their computer which goes
haywire or is their motor which overheats?

would you exit an elevator between floors? couldnt an overheated motor
start working again and squash you ?

Any number of things could happen, mechanical jam, blown fuse, welded
relay contact, power failure, it's a bit like saying "why do cars break
down" an elevator is a complex mechanical device and sometimes something
will break.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

James Sweet writes:

komodore comrade wrote:
why do elevators get stuck in general? is it their computer which goes
haywire or is their motor which overheats?

would you exit an elevator between floors? couldnt an overheated motor
start working again and squash you ?

Any number of things could happen, mechanical jam, blown fuse, welded
relay contact, power failure, it's a bit like saying "why do cars break
down" an elevator is a complex mechanical device and sometimes something
will break.

How many people were hurt, let alone killed, in elevators last year?
Was it greater than 0?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"komodore comrade" wrote in
oups.com:

why do elevators get stuck in general? is it their computer which goes
haywire or is their motor which overheats?

It's possible something failed or triggered that shouldn't have. If
there's a sensor to detect door obstructions, for example, perhaps it
failed and the elevator picked it up.

would you exit an elevator between floors? couldnt an overheated motor
start working again and squash you ?

Take a look in the elevator next time you're in it. There's a telephone
in there for you to call for help if something does happen. This takes
the "random" factor out of things... unless you're in the building where
the ******* Operator From Hell works.

Puckdropper

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"komodore comrade" wrote in message
oups.com...

why do elevators get stuck in general? is it their computer which goes
haywire or is their motor which overheats?

Why doesn't Alaska grease important parts in their planes?

would you exit an elevator between floors? couldnt an overheated motor
start working again and squash you ?

The greatest danger is falling backwards and down the shaft. This has
happened. The interlocks are pretty reliable although I know of one case

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

How many people were hurt, let alone killed, in elevators last year?
Was it greater than 0?

Heard of elevator surfing?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

There's a telephone
in there for you to call for help if something does happen.

You won't always find a telephone, but there is usually also a (loud) alarm
bell that you can trigger by pressing a button. The elevator at my place of
employment is set up like this.

unless you're in the building where
the ******* Operator From Hell works.

Well, I am the systems operator...and somedays I definitely feel like
pulling something out of the BOFH's bag of tricks. Sometimes it's been
enough to write my own versions of the adventures.

:-)

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:mWPHg.153435$1i1.27078@attbi_s72...
Hi!

There's a telephone
in there for you to call for help if something does happen.

You won't always find a telephone, but there is usually also a (loud)
alarm
bell that you can trigger by pressing a button. The elevator at my place
of
employment is set up like this.

http://www.weitzlux.com/mingkuangche...ays_812 .html

Delivery man stuck in elevator as cops terrorize building
By G. Dunkel
New York

Published Apr 14, 2005 9:39 PM
Ming Kuang Chen, who delivers for a Chinese restaurant in the Bronx, spent
81 hours in a broken elevator—even as police were terrorizing residents of
the building looking for him everywhere but in the most likely place.

After he finished his drops on April 1 at Tracey Towers on Mosholu Parkway,
Chen took an express elevator to the lobby. The elevator stopped between the
third and fourth floors.

Speaking through an interpreter at a news conference April 8, he explained,
“I waved to the [security] camera, I tried to stand right in front of it,
hoping someone would see me.”

“I kept pressing the alarm key, I tried to talk to security through the
intercom. I did manage to speak to somebody, but I couldn’t understand what
he said back.”

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How many people were hurt, let alone killed, in elevators last year?
Was it greater than 0?

Someone was killed in one in a shopping mall near me recently. It got
stuck between floors, as I recall two of his friends got out, one
slipped and fell down the shaft trying to climb onto the upper of the
floors it was between and was killed when he hit the bottom. Good reason
to sit tight until help arrives.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" wrote in message

Someone was killed in one in a shopping mall near me recently. It got
stuck between floors, as I recall two of his friends got out, one slipped
and fell down the shaft trying to climb onto the upper of the floors it
was between and was killed when he hit the bottom. Good reason to sit
tight until help arrives.

Yep. That's also why you can't open the top door on the cab from inside -
movies notwithstanding.

Toro / Briggs&Stratton Stuck Oil Filler Cap Filipo Home Repair 12 June 11th 19 08:44 PM
My climbing pool robot cleaner is getting stuck on my pool stairs Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC Home Repair 5 June 23rd 06 08:24 PM
Stuck draw Charlie S. Home Repair 7 November 26th 05 03:30 PM
Removing linoleum for tiling - what about the stuff stuck to the floor? Adam Home Repair 4 February 15th 05 05:32 PM
Sony WEGA 32" volume and channel stuck - frozen private person Electronics Repair 27 March 5th 04 01:05 AM