Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Used wrong plug on my camcorder!! hELp!!

I accidentally used the wrong power plug for my camcorder. Nothing
happened. It didn't power on or anything. I didn't think much about
it. Then I figured i might have had the wrong plug. When I finally
did find the right plug for it, I plugged it in and nothing happened.
It doesn't turn on, nothing. It was working before I plugged in the
wrong plug.

The power adapter it is supposed to take is an 11v plug. The one I
accidentally used is a 9v. Did I blow a board or something? Is this
irreversible?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The only way I would think that it could damage it from plugging a 9v power
supply into a 11v camcorder would be if the polarity was backwards on the 9v
psu.

Check the labeling on the transformers and see if they both the same
polarity.

Example of center positve

http://tinyurl.com/mmeg3

http://www.semiconductorstore.com/im...upplyinput.gif

- Mike

wrote in message
ups.com...
I accidentally used the wrong power plug for my camcorder. Nothing
happened. It didn't power on or anything. I didn't think much about
it. Then I figured i might have had the wrong plug. When I finally
did find the right plug for it, I plugged it in and nothing happened.
It doesn't turn on, nothing. It was working before I plugged in the
wrong plug.

The power adapter it is supposed to take is an 11v plug. The one I
accidentally used is a 9v. Did I blow a board or something? Is this
irreversible?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
I accidentally used the wrong power plug for my camcorder. Nothing
happened. It didn't power on or anything. I didn't think much about
it. Then I figured i might have had the wrong plug. When I finally
did find the right plug for it, I plugged it in and nothing happened.
It doesn't turn on, nothing. It was working before I plugged in the
wrong plug.

The power adapter it is supposed to take is an 11v plug. The one I
accidentally used is a 9v. Did I blow a board or something? Is this
irreversible?

It may be reversable by the service center, but if your camcorder
doesn't have a user-accessible fuse that is likely the only way you'll
get it to work again.

In today's world with hundreds of consumer devices using 'wall warts'
and each of them having different power supply voltages, modes, and
polarities you'd think that there would be both more standardization of
the plug / device interface and also better protection in the consumer
device itself. But hey, it is either a $ervice opportunity for the
manufacturer or an opportunity to sell you another camcorder, right?

If the manufacturer won't fix it for shipping costs only then I suggest
you help us all out by buying another camcorder from a different
manufacturer - and be sure to tell your current brand's customer service
organization why you won't be buying any more of their products.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

As others have said, if it was just 9 versus 11 volts, no damage should have
resulted. If you of them had positive and negative reversed, then you quite
likely blew a fuse or a voltage regulator chip. The fuse may be
super-miniaturized and hard to recognize. If I were asked to repair it, I'd
start with the first few components right inside the power inlet.

Also... Try it again. Are you sure your 11-volt (correct) power supply is
actually working?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
The only way I would think that it could damage it from plugging a 9v
power supply into a 11v camcorder would be if the polarity was backwards
on the 9v psu.

Or if it was an unregulated 9V wall wart which in reality puts our a much
higher voltage than 9V.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I accidentally used the wrong power plug for my camcorder. Nothing
happened. It didn't power on or anything. I didn't think much about
it. Then I figured i might have had the wrong plug. When I finally
did find the right plug for it, I plugged it in and nothing happened.
It doesn't turn on, nothing. It was working before I plugged in the
wrong plug.

The power adapter it is supposed to take is an 11v plug. The one I
accidentally used is a 9v. Did I blow a board or something? Is this
irreversible?

And this is the reason I bought a cheap etching tool. Every
wall wart, and power supply in the house gets the item name and model #
etched onto the back of the power supply as soon as it comes out of the box.
It really helps when all it says on the back of the power supply is voltage,
and made in china.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Deke wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I accidentally used the wrong power plug for my camcorder. Nothing
happened. It didn't power on or anything. I didn't think much about
it. Then I figured i might have had the wrong plug. When I finally
did find the right plug for it, I plugged it in and nothing happened.
It doesn't turn on, nothing. It was working before I plugged in the
wrong plug.

The power adapter it is supposed to take is an 11v plug. The one I
accidentally used is a 9v. Did I blow a board or something? Is this
irreversible?

And this is the reason I bought a cheap etching tool. Every
wall wart, and power supply in the house gets the item name and model #
etched onto the back of the power supply as soon as it comes out of the box.
It really helps when all it says on the back of the power supply is voltage,
and made in china.

That's great. Way to go. Good idea.

OTOH, why in hell is this necessary? Besides the obvious danger to
equipment, this is IMO a safety issue. Sure the chances of something
burning up and perhaps causing a fire is remote, but it exists.

This is one of my pet peeves. I wonder how much gear gets trashed every
day because of this? Power plugs should be standardized so that 'one
size' *doesn't* 'fit all'....

jak

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

This is one of my pet peeves. I wonder how much gear gets trashed every
day because of this? Power plugs should be standardized so that 'one
size' *doesn't* 'fit all'....

I agree!

Amateur astronomers often have Meade telescopes and SBIG CCD cameras. Both
run on 12 volts, a couple of amps. They take the same power connector.
With reverse polarities. The SBIG gear has reverse polarity protection.
The Meade gear blows a fuse and (if it's an early model LX200) explodes a
capacitor which is upstream from the fuse.

heavily carboned new mower spark plug alacat Home Repair 5 July 5th 06 03:21 PM
Mitsubishi Camcorder pinout PJ UK diy 24 June 28th 06 08:26 PM
mini din type DC power plug wanted can't trace it [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 June 12th 05 08:02 AM
Help Me Pull The Plug Fdmorrison Metalworking 39 February 10th 04 12:33 AM
Replace Dyson Plug Ade Smith UK diy 2 July 4th 03 06:23 PM