Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Using Plasma TV as computer monitor?

I have a friend who is willing to sell me a 32" Sharp Aquos Plasma HD
TV and I want to know before I buy it; could I use it as a computer
monitor? It has a HDMI connector and my computer has a DVI connector
also. I see cables on Ebay that can connect the two together but would
the picture be blurry or patchy? What about resolution settings? What
would the advantages and disadvantages be? Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

It is not recommended to use a Plasma display for a computer monitor. It is
best to use a proper dedicated monitor for your computer to have the best
results.

Plasma displays are very susceptible to have burn in, and also will not
perform as well as a dedicated computer LCD screen when used on a computer.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a friend who is willing to sell me a 32" Sharp Aquos Plasma HD
TV and I want to know before I buy it; could I use it as a computer
monitor? It has a HDMI connector and my computer has a DVI connector
also. I see cables on Ebay that can connect the two together but would
the picture be blurry or patchy? What about resolution settings? What
would the advantages and disadvantages be? Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Papa_J

Are you certain the set is a plasma and not a 32" Sharp Aquios LCD?? If it
is an lcd monitor there will be no problem using it with the computer once
you get the hookup and resolutions figured out.
"JANA" wrote in message
It is not recommended to use a Plasma display for a computer monitor. It
is
best to use a proper dedicated monitor for your computer to have the best
results.

Plasma displays are very susceptible to have burn in, and also will not
perform as well as a dedicated computer LCD screen when used on a
computer.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a friend who is willing to sell me a 32" Sharp Aquos Plasma HD
TV and I want to know before I buy it; could I use it as a computer
monitor? It has a HDMI connector and my computer has a DVI connector
also. I see cables on Ebay that can connect the two together but would
the picture be blurry or patchy? What about resolution settings? What
would the advantages and disadvantages be? Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 13 May 2006 10:53:12 GMT, Jumpster Jiver wrote:

Do NOT use a plasma TV as a computer monitor. They are very suceptible
to burn-in. If a static image such as your desktop stays onscreen for a
long time, that image will be burned into the plasma display
permanently. There is no way to repair this.

Modern plasma screens are not so susceptible to burn in as the early sets were.

My plasma screen is 6 months old and is regularly used as a monitor. It has also been used for
extended periods on Foxtel (with the bright logo). There is no sign of burn in.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

Take a trip to Best Buy. Some of the new plasma displays now do what
the CRT console displays in airplanes do -- the image moves around
constantly to avoid burnin. You won't notice it unless you're
staring at the pixels on the edge of the screen.

JANA wrote:
It is not recommended to use a Plasma display for a computer monitor. It is
best to use a proper dedicated monitor for your computer to have the best
results.

Plasma displays are very susceptible to have burn in, and also will not
perform as well as a dedicated computer LCD screen when used on a computer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

The TV may not have a native resolution identical to the common computer
screen formats, so there might be some compromise on the display.

Papa_J wrote:
Are you certain the set is a plasma and not a 32" Sharp Aquios LCD?? If it
is an lcd monitor there will be no problem using it with the computer once
you get the hookup and resolutions figured out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ali

Hey Mike,

The TV you are considering is a Sharp Aquos LCD TV. I my opinion,
these are the best LCD monitors for the sub $3,000 market. Anyone seen
Sharp's display at CES 20005?

Sharp spends more on R&D and innovation on LCD than anyone else...

What's the model number?

I remember early mid 2005 Hitachi at a conference in San Diego and they
were introducing some advanced technology that would eliminate burn-in
issues with plasma TVs...I would imagine most manufacturer's have some
sort of technology like that protecting their plasma panels by
now...but regardless, one thing anyone considering a new TV should keep
in mind is that there are a lot of relatively NEW technologies out
there and those types of TVs are suseptiable to more defects than older
technologies. LCD technology has been around for a long time...CRT
technology has been around for a long time...PLASMA, DLP, D-ILA,
Projection LCD are all new.

We service 10 PLASMA TVs for every LCD TV! A distant second are the
projection technologies which are reliable except for pre-mature lamp
failures!

Bottomline, you're getting a TV from a friend...you're luckly it's an
LCD...you shouldn't have any problems with it...figure out what its
native resolution is and hope your video card matches up nicely. You
say it has a HDMI connection, it must be a fairly new set. With the
DVI/HDMI converters, the picture should be nice and clear, but keep in
mind DVI is only video whereas HDMI is hi def video and audio. If it's
not too much money, you might want to consider upgrading your video
card for a HDMI compatible card...I'm sure both ATI and NVidia has what
you ned.
Regards,

Ali Irani-Tehrani
Discount-Merchant.com