Philips Flat Screen TV problems (UK)

Old May 7th 06, 07:28 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Philips Flat Screen TV problems (UK)

As TV diagnostics/repairs are a complete mystery to me, I wonder if anyone
here could throw some light on the following problem please?

Here in the UK, I have a Phillips 28" Flat Screen TV that's about four years
old and has suddenly 'lost' its picture once a week for the last four weeks.
When this happens, there is no way that I can get the TV to switch into
'normal' viewing mode.

The symptoms a

1 - Whilst the TV is on, it will suddenly emit a loud cracking noise and the
screen will go blank.

2 - After the picture has gone, the TV Power On light stays lit as if the
picture was operating normally.

3 - The buttons on the remote control handset will not work the TV -
(batteries are ok).

4 - The picture cannot be turned on using the manual controls built into the
top of the set.

5 - Switching the power off and leaving it off for up to an hour and then
turning it back on will not get the TV to work normally - Power On light
stays as described above.

6 -The TV will work normally the following morning if left switched off
overnight and then turned on.

Many thanks

Brian G

Old May 7th 06, 11:42 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Brian G" wrote in message
[...]

I can't help with your problem, but the reason I looked at this newsgroup
today is because I turned our TV on earlier this evening and it was fine for
a minute or so, then suddenly switched itself off (into standby mode). When
I tried switching it back on with the remote control, it made a repeated
clicking noise, as if it was being repeatedly turned on, then put into
standby mode over and over. The only way to stop the noise was to turn the
TV off.

Our TV is also a 28" Philips flat screen, in the UK, and I think it's about
3-4 years old. As your TV and the problem are similar, maybe it's a known
issue with this model?

We're leaving it unplugged tonight to see if it's fixed itself by the
morning, but if anyone can offer a more technical solution it would be
appreciated!

Thanks,
Kirsty.

Old May 8th 06, 01:44 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Kirsty wrote:
"Brian G" wrote in message
[...]

Both these sets will need seeing to by a technician. DON'T nurse this
along as you will transform what may well be at presnt an easily
repairable fault by a knowledgeable tech into an expensive
parts-replacing nightmare. As an extemely rough diagnosis it sounds
like there are dry joints or altered value resistors in the power
supply or high voltage sections - not something you can hope to fix
yourselves without experience, possibly some test gear, and tools.

best advice is to take the set to a repair shop. Do not rely on
internet guesswork - get an estimate (most reliably if you pay a
little for this, as the tech will open the unit, which takes a bit of
time but will usually be offset if you proceed with the repair).

Be suspicious of free estimates, as to make a real diagnosis, you need
to see what the exact fault is by opening the set which takes time, and
nobody works for nothing. However, I reckon investing a few quid to
make a good decision is small change compared to the cost of buying a
new set. You can then make an informed decision on whether to proceed
with a repair.

hope this is useful. good luck.
Ben

Old May 8th 06, 03:13 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Brian G" wrote in message
[...]

Could be CRT flashover, or the EHT arcing to ground, either from the line
output transformer to chassis or anode cap to aquadag or chassis. CRT
flashover is potentially fatal to the tube (and possibly incurable), the
latter is at best a major inconvenience and at worst can cause damage to
components, but it may be repairable.

The problem is the age of the set, at 4 years old I wouldn't spend too much
money on a repair as a new 28" TV can be had for fairly little money here in
the UK.

If you plan on getting an estimate, DO NOT operate the set at all- not for a
moment! Take it to a reputable TV repair shop and get it sorted.

Dave

Old May 8th 06, 04:21 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Brian G" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Ben and Dave for your replies.

The repair company will be calling to pick the set up on Thursday and as it
may be of help to Kirsty, I'll post back the results once I know them.

Brian G