Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris F.

Default Marketing Strategies for Used Electronics

I've run my small electronics repair business for years, and like so many
of you I've felt the bite of the dying industry. Its become very hard to
sell used electronics in recent years and it only seems to be getting worse.
But in this post, I'd like to hear some discussion about marketing - in
particular, the appearance of the humble price tag.
March was actually a pretty good month in terms of sales, selling about a
half dozen TV's and a few other smaller appliances. The month of April,
though, only saw a single sale. I'm wondering if it has something to do with
appearances. Around the end of March, when things began to slack off, I
decided to redo my price tags (I sell my stuff from a local corner store). I
spent some time replacing the modest price tags with some much
fancier-looking ones (I design & print them myself, changing them every few
months). Sales have since been at their worst ever, and I'm wondering if the
tags are to blame. Or is it just simply further decay of this has-been
industry?
I'm wondering how much of an effect the price tags appearance actually has
on a potential customer. Do people respond to such things as bright colors,
bold lettering, or such artistic aspects such as shapes and curves? Is it
possible to embed subliminal messages that could possible "encourage"
someone to buy something? Or is it even worth the trouble; perhaps people
are so uninterested in buying used, they don't even bother to look at the
appliances, much less the price tags.
If things don't soon pick up I could risk losing my department at this
store. But maybe it's inevitable, and I should just start dumping my surplus
inventory and repair stock now, before I have to start paying to take stuff
to the landfill.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

--
To reply via Email, remove NOSPAM from the address

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chris F:
Ask any shop owner who sells used/repaired/reconditioned equipment (I
do) and the answer is that there is a bit more to it than the price
tag.....
...... usually a qualified tech or repair shop clerk will "sell" the
item by providing additional information about its specs, condition and
repair shop warranty, price new, and even a detailed working
demonstration and operator/owner training and maybe even a bartar on
the sale price.... all of which is usually beyond the scope and purview
of whoever "mans" your department at the store in which you have the
equipment.
In addition, some of the equipment that I sell in my shop is a direct
result of a customer prepaid repair cost estimate and a refused
repair.... at that point I can apply half of the prepaid estimate price
toward the purchase of a used replacement item. The offer goes away
once they leave the store.
electricitym
..
..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Agree with the above.
I'd say that one of the major influences on buying decisions is the
explanation of how the thing works in laymans terms. Apart from a
demonstration of how to set the thing up, I always try to provide a
manual, and often will hand-write a summary of the main steps to set
up, say, a tv or vcr. You wouldn't believe how relieved some people
can be for that, especially the non-technical, who wouldn't understand
even the simplest of user manuals. Providing an email or phone number
in case of problems also helps reassure them. And if we're talking
about older gear, you can usually turn the age into a virtue and 'big
up' the fact that its not as disposable as todays cheap imported
dross!
-b.

ELECTRONICS Tommy Electronics Repair 0 January 24th 06 09:34 PM
Surge Protector for Nova DVR lathe Tony the Turner Woodturning 11 March 21st 05 06:56 PM
Is the quality of consumer electronics declining? Jim Conley Electronics Repair 19 February 22nd 05 01:11 AM
Electronics Engineering quiz free help for exam tejas Electronics Repair 2 October 7th 04 04:37 PM
Need advice on Electronics Distance Learning Commander Dave Electronics Repair 6 August 24th 03 07:57 PM