DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fellowes P400C shredder gear replacement (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/154959-fellowes-p400c-shredder-gear-replacement.html)

[email protected] April 25th 06 04:19 PM

Fellowes P400C shredder gear replacement

Hello,

Does anybody know of a good source of gears for Fellowes paper
shredders. I called
Fellowes Customer Support this morning. They do not sell parts for this
particular
shredder. I hate to toss it out. The shredder has a 1/8 HP AC motor in
it.

The 2" (rough diameter) nylon gear has a couple of teeth broken off it.
I doubt one could use something to "fill in" the missing gears like JB
weld as the mechanical motion might break off the replacement teeth.
Or maybe this would work? Thoughts?

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party Fellowes gear manufacturer that would
sell a gear compatible with the P400C? I don't have a count of the
number of teeth/pitch of the gear, but I could check.

Thanks
Mike McWhinney

Jerry G. April 25th 06 05:56 PM

Fellowes P400C shredder gear replacement

From experience with these, you have no other recoarse than buying a
new one. The manufactures of this level of shredders don't import the
parts. They don't see these as being cost effective to service. The
markets are too small for third party manufacturing of parts for these.

It's time to buy a new one. If yours is one of the models with a nice
waste basket, you have a plus from it.

Jerry G.
======

[email protected] April 25th 06 07:49 PM

Fellowes P400C shredder gear replacement

I am going to look further into this, to see if I can find the correct
gear. If not,
I will try to repair the current gear. This is just too nice of a
shredder to throw
to the garbage.

DaveM April 25th 06 11:11 PM

Fellowes P400C shredder gear replacement

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Does anybody know of a good source of gears for Fellowes paper
shredders. I called
Fellowes Customer Support this morning. They do not sell parts for this
particular
shredder. I hate to toss it out. The shredder has a 1/8 HP AC motor in
it.

The 2" (rough diameter) nylon gear has a couple of teeth broken off it.
I doubt one could use something to "fill in" the missing gears like JB
weld as the mechanical motion might break off the replacement teeth.
Or maybe this would work? Thoughts?

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party Fellowes gear manufacturer that would
sell a gear compatible with the P400C? I don't have a count of the
number of teeth/pitch of the gear, but I could check.

Thanks
Mike McWhinney

Wheeler Business Machines, Inc.
16 Frontenac St. S.E. Grand Rapids, MI 49548
(616) 245-3335 Voice * (616) 245-3447 Fax
1-877-245-3335

Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

James T. White April 26th 06 04:55 AM

wrote in message
oups.com
Hello,

Does anybody know of a good source of gears for Fellowes paper
shredders. I called
Fellowes Customer Support this morning. They do not sell parts for
this particular
shredder. I hate to toss it out. The shredder has a 1/8 HP AC motor in
it.

The 2" (rough diameter) nylon gear has a couple of teeth broken off
it. I doubt one could use something to "fill in" the missing gears
like JB weld as the mechanical motion might break off the replacement
teeth. Or maybe this would work? Thoughts?

Can anyone recommend a 3rd party Fellowes gear manufacturer that would
sell a gear compatible with the P400C? I don't have a count of the
number of teeth/pitch of the gear, but I could check.

Mike,

That seems to be a pretty common failure mode for Fellowes shredders,
particularly the cross-cut ones. I had two fail before I finally broke
down and bought a GBC cross-cut shredder. A good bit more expensive
but it is built with metal gears and doesn't have the duty cycle
constraints that the Fellowes ones have.

Good luck finding replacement gears.

--
James T. White

[email protected] April 27th 06 04:15 PM

Fellowes P400C shredder gear replacement

Thanks for the info. Wheeler referred me back to Fellowes. They do not
sell parts for this shredder. This is unfortunate as this is a very
nice shredder. I will simply "reconstruct" the missing teeth on the
gear with JB Weld or similar agent and take my chances that that will
work.

Mike