Sony HCD-GX450 laser - update

Old March 16th 06, 12:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony HCD-GX450 laser - update

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message news:...

"tvguy" wrote in message
news
I really don`t think sony is going to fix this for free. They can be
a real pain to try to get something from them. You will need to pay
the shipping on this both ways and they will try to sell you a
reconditioned one and take yours as a trade in. I would sugest to try
to find a repairshop in your area where you can take it in to have it
serviced.

Problem is, and I say this as an authorized Sony servicer, the HCD-GX250
and 450 models are so bad

snip

Update:

It is beginning to appear that cleaning / reseating the front panel
connectors -mainly the big one- may fix these units for their variety of
unusual problems (no power, front LED blinking, tray cycling, no audio,
etc). Seems to have fixed a couple lately - but of course they could still
come back for re-do's. Recommend Caig Red (non-aerosol) - I think it's the
D-100 - for treating the contacts. Blows my mind that new units with new,
really, really tight connectors could have these problems, but there you
are. Requires a major dissassembly to access the connector at the front
panel side.

Mark Z.

Old May 17th 06, 11:18 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. Zacharias

lid wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, but before I start taking the player apart to clean the front connectors I just wanted to make sure what the front connectors are. Just to be su The front conectors are the RCA ports (yellow, red, white) where I would plug a gaming system in?

My particular problem is the system quitting while playing and then the power LED blinks. After I unplug it and plug it back in it works again for a random amount of time. Sony's website would lead me to believe that the system is overheating.

One thing that I have done with this system is extend the speaker wires so that I can place the speakers on both sides of my basement. The left speaker wire is about 30 ft long and the right one about 15 ft long. It's worked fine for a year and now this happens about 3 weeks after the extended warranty ends!

Thanks for any further clarification you can provide and any other tips that might be useful for a beginner.

Thanks.
Old May 18th 06, 12:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

lid wrote in message
[...]

Disassembly of one of these is probably not for most beginners. The
connectors I'm talking about are for a fairly large white flat cable, about
2 1/2 to 3 inches wide and about the thickness of a couple sheets of paper.
It connects the logic functions etc from the front pc board to the "main" pc
board on the right side of the unit.

Mark Z.

Old May 19th 06, 09:54 AM
Junior Member

lid wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Mark.

It turns out that the place where I connected the stock speaker wire to the wire that I bought was not insulated. I soldered it but I didn't wrap it in electrical tape. When those wires touch and enough power was getting sent through the lines, the system shorted out and stopped working. Problem resolved.

Thanks again.
nkm490
Old May 19th 06, 12:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

nkm490 wrote:
Mark D. Zacharias Wrote:

lid wrote in message
[...]

End of problem indeed.
I suppose this is where I'm supposed to make some comment about newbies -
but we've all been there. Best of luck to you in the future. I recommend
component receivers by Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Denon. All-in one tabletop type
systems are mostly disposable junk. Do make sure the DVD player is also a
separate unit, so that when it dies you can just replace it separately.

Mark Z.