Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Muderick

Default Magnetized meter

I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
HankG

"Mike Muderick" wrote in message
I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the

left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse

polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

thanks

Just wondering--is there a zero-adjust screw or tang (for want of a better
word) on the meter?

HankG

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Just Another Theremin Fan

The meter is magnetized and now sits center scale,

Cobblers and rubbish. You've probably dropped it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

Like Hank suggested, should be a flathead screw adjustment on the front of
the meter, at the bottom.

"Mike Muderick" wrote in message
I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the

left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse

polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Mike Muderick" wrote in message
I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the
left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse
polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

thanks

Sounds more like some kind of mechanical failure, I've never heard of
magnetism causing that margin of error.

Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Reinhard Zwirner

Mike Muderick schrieb:

I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

I've seen such an effect when the transparent plastic cover of the scale
has
been wiped intensively for cleaning purposes generating electrostatic
charge.
Try to breathe on the plastik to discharge it.

HTH

Reinhard
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser

"Dave D" writes:

"Mike Muderick" wrote in message
I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the
left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse
polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

thanks

Sounds more like some kind of mechanical failure, I've never heard of
magnetism causing that margin of error.

Magentism won't affect a normal D'Arsonval meter movement as far as
zero position is concerned.

If you examine it closely, there will probably be an obvious cause like
a bent needle or misadjusted zero screw.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Muderick

Tried all of the above. There is no zero-adjust screw. Took the plastic
cover off to try and discharge any static electicity. Nothing is bent-
meter wasn't dropped- It just won't go back to zero.
mm

"Reinhard Zwirner" wrote in message
Mike Muderick schrieb:

I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store.

The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the

left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse

polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

I've seen such an effect when the transparent plastic cover of the scale
has
been wiped intensively for cleaning purposes generating electrostatic
charge.
Try to breathe on the plastik to discharge it.

HTH

Reinhard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Mike Muderick schrieb:

I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail
store. The meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead
of over to the left. Any solutions to return it to it's normal
state. I tried reverse polarity- it goes to the left, but then
returns to center.

I've seen such an effect when the transparent plastic cover of the
scale has
been wiped intensively for cleaning purposes generating electrostatic
charge.
Try to breathe on the plastik to discharge it.

HTH

Reinhard

Maybe the internal magnet shifted.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Mike Muderick wrote:
Tried all of the above. There is no zero-adjust screw. Took the plastic
cover off to try and discharge any static electicity. Nothing is bent-
meter wasn't dropped- It just won't go back to zero.
mm

Hi...

It's just a shot in the dark, but doesn't cost anything so perhaps
worth a try... ?

Dampen a clean cloth in a bit of diluted fabric softener; wipe the
whole thing down with it. See what happens.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

Well, since you've already had the cover off, try this.
Open the meter again and gently try to move the needle back toward zero with a
fingertip or a toothpick. If it doesn't move freely, or moves but stays in the
position it was moved to, your meter is damaged. Most likely cause is a broken
hairspring or pivot. In either case, the meter is unrepairable by most. The
only course of action is to buy a new tester.
You can, of course, get some small tools and gingerly disassemble the meter to
get at the innards, but if the meter is damaged as I described, you're just
chasing a rainbow.

If the meter needle does move freely but just returns to mid scale, you might be
able to remedy that. Open the meter and remove the screws that hold the meter's
mechanism in the housing. You might have to fiddle with the wires that connect
the meter mechanism to the terminals on the rear of the housing. Keep them out
of the way, or at least keep the strain off those wires because they attach to a
delicate mechanism. On the rear of the movement is another pivot adjustment,
normally where one of the connecting wires is soldered. Gently move this pivot
arm and see if the needle responds. If so, see if there is enough range in
movement to return the needle to normal zero position. If so, you're home free.
If not, you're back to square one, looking for a new tester.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Mike Muderick schrieb:

I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store.

The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the

left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse

polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

I've seen such an effect when the transparent plastic cover of the scale
has
been wiped intensively for cleaning purposes generating electrostatic
charge.
Try to breathe on the plastik to discharge it.

HTH

Reinhard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bill Janssen

DaveM wrote:

[...]

Before you change the rear spring setting you should inspect the spiral
springs. I have seen cases
where the spiral turns got tangled (probably by too much current). I
used a tooth pick or small
wire to untangle the loops of the spring. Also look at the pivots. If
your meter coil and pointer
are supported by a "taught band" then all of the advice I gave doesn't
apply.

Bill K7NOM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

"Sam Goldwasser" wrote in message

Mike Muderick schrieb:

I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail
store. The meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead
of over to the left. Any solutions to return it to it's normal
state. I tried reverse polarity- it goes to the left, but then
returns to center.

I've seen such an effect when the transparent plastic cover of the
scale has
been wiped intensively for cleaning purposes generating electrostatic
charge.
Try to breathe on the plastik to discharge it.

HTH

Reinhard

Maybe the internal magnet shifted.

Mark Z.

Huh?

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Well, the coil has to react with something. It's been a long time since I've
taken a meter movement apart, but clearly at the heart of the meter movement
is a magnet. If the magnet is normally stationary, while the meter coil and
pointer move with voltage applied, if the magnet were to physically rotate,
this would affect the zero center of the coil / pointer, yes?

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

om...

Mike Muderick schrieb:

[...]

Actually, just realized my error. If the coil were magnetized, my point
might have been valid, otherwise not.

"never mind"

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob AZ

Mike

a ½ scale thing like this is usually a hair spring failure or possible
a shock to the spring has caused a coil to interfere with another.
Bob AZ

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Just Another Theremin Fan

Bob AZ wrote:
Mike

a ? scale thing like this is usually a hair spring failure or possible
a shock to the spring has caused a coil to interfere with another.
Bob AZ

I think you might find that these Mallory cheapo testers actually
place a load across the cell under test. The meter may not be a
hair spring device at all but more like a car Amp meter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild Bill

Chances are good that the meter movement has suffered physical damage,
or has had a mechanical part failure.

Damage can be related to harsh handling or misuse. Checking a battery
voltage that exceeds the selected range/type can cause irrepairable
damage. In many cases, this will open the moving coil windings (fuse
action).

I suspect that since the meter will deflect down-scale (as well as up),
that the problem is a damaged hairspring. There are almost always 2
hairsprings, which are wound in different directions, at each end of
the armature.
As each hairspring tension opposes the other, if one were removed or
weakened, the other would be stronger, moving the pointer "harder" in
that direction.

If the meter movement isn't the moving coil type, then a hairspring or
the band has possibly been damaged (weakened or distorted) by
overvoltage or misuse.

If the meter wouldn't deflect down-scale, I'd suggest that the problem
might be a small bit of debris inside the meter movement that was
stopping the coil from returning to it's zero position. Sometimes a
small magnet flake or other material will cause this.

Resetting hairsprings is (not can be) a very delicate procedure. Meter
manufacturers used to actually list hairsprings as replacment parts.
The tension needs to be precisely balanced for a precision meter
application. Many armatures also utilize counterweights fitted on pins
that extend outward radially.

If it's a separate panel meter (not built into the tester's case), and
you can see some numbers on the meter, you may be able to find a
suitable replacement meter assembly. Many meter movements have a full
scale current value printed on the meter faceplate/scale plate,
something similar to 100uA DC F.S. (full scale deflection at 100
microamps).
For using meters of different ratings as substitute replacements, refer
to books covering meter shunt resistors and similar topics.

Cheers
WB

Mike Muderick wrote:
I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Casual Fool

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 14:11:07 GMT, "Mike Muderick"
wrote:

I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

thanks

Hi There, Lets not discount the fact that there may be a small piece
of metal shaving that has worked its way into the center of the magnet
and is lightly brushing the coil assembly, making it stick. This is
more common than you think. a Simpson "S" meter on a Collins Amateur
Receiver I own had this problem. What really suprised me that the
Simpson meter had never been taken apart before, so this was a factory
included screwup!! After some head scratching, and finally taking the
meter out and the movement apart, and unbolting the two screws that
hold the coil assembly in, I was able to "wipe" the little piece of
metal out of the magnetic hole. I reasembled the unit, and its working
fine to this day.... Oh, BTW, since this is a battery test meter, I
highly doubt that the movement would be a "taut band type" as these
are mostly used on high $$$ wattmeters and bench test multimeters that
don't get bumped around alot. One more final thought.. You may have
had one of the balance wires fall off, and may be sitting in the
bottom of the meter. This item will look like a tiny wrapped coil, and
goes on one of the two prongs near the center of the movement..
Sometimes the parafin used to hold these non ferrous balance weights
fall off, also causing a meter to do what you have said.. Best Luck!
Anthony, WB8MLA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie

In article %zZLf.1774$%v4.565@trnddc03, "Mike Muderick"
wrote:

I have a battery tester meter (Mallory) that came from a retail store. The
meter is magnetized and now sits center scale, instead of over to the left.
Any solutions to return it to it's normal state. I tried reverse polarity-
it goes to the left, but then returns to center.

Mike-

It is not magnetized. Since you have shown that static electricity is not
causing it, there are two other causes I can think of.

1. It is a zero-center meter movement that is biased to one end of the
scale when turned on and working.

2. There are coil springs at both top and bottom of the meter shaft.
These springs oppose each other. One of them is broken.

Fred

Gas meter stopper [email protected] UK diy 4 February 21st 06 11:50 PM
PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver) Power Supply Chris Electronics Repair 7 January 31st 06 03:19 AM
Gas meter regulations Chris UK diy 11 April 20th 05 05:49 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM
Huge water bill; freeze; meter failure; who should pay? Scoot Home Repair 10 July 22nd 03 02:51 AM