Junior Member

Default RCA F31700GGFX1 with CTC169JS5 Chasis

I'm trying to repair the TV specified in the thread's title.
It was working fine but about a week ago it started intermittently shutting itself off and back on. The picture looked fine while it was on, but after about a minute or two, the screen would shrink to a short vertical line (meaning not exactly from top to bottom), it would show some random patterns and then would go off. About two seconds later, it'd come back on on its own.

After turning it off, it will not come back on again. Can't even hear the relay trying to turn the set on.

Fuse is OK.
Tested C4403 with an In-Circuit DCR ESR CapAnalyzer and it tested as normal.
Tested the CR-4118 in place with a DMM and seems OK as well.
Nothing seems to be burnt (color or smell).

I have some experience with audio equipment as well as PCs.
I'm familiar with flyback operation and shock hazards.
However, I don't have experience with TVs.

Can someone please advise on what the problem might be?
Thanks in advance.

Redhog
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Shoreline Electronics

CR4118 should always be changed if it's the original one...it will check
good but break down under load.

See this list of part that must be changed on these for reliable operation &
is considered a general tune up for any CTC169 chassis......this is a good
place to start.

Text pasted from WinSTIPS 2.0
http://www.ServiceSoftware.com

RCA CTC169

Common Failure

When Working On Any Of The Ctc169 Chassis Replace The Following If They Are
The Original Parts.
Cr4118 (Ecg580 Or Equiv)
C4102 2.2uf 100v
C4104 15uf 63v
C4108 47uf 50v ( Sometimes This Is A 39uf)

==========================
Jeff Stielau
Shoreline Electronics Repair
344 East Main Street
Clinton,CT 06413
860-399-1861
860-664-3535 (fax)

========================

--
redhog727

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Stuart

Default CTC169 Chasis

Try http://wa6ati.com/Ctc169.htm

"redhog727" wrote in message

[...]

Junior Member

Jeff and Stuart:

Thank you both for your replies.
Stuart's link has some helpful info, and some of it includes Jeff's recommendations.

I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks again.

Redhog