Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

Default Sony CDX-705 CD Changer - update.

OK, so I found that the dampers ARE sealed and are mounted to the
chassis by a press-fit onto a riveted post.
Does anyone have a service manual to any Sony CDX-??? Mobile CD Changer?
I'd appreciate a part number for the shock dampers so I can order a set
of four.
I don't know what caused one to split - possibly the extreme temperature
changes we've had in my area lately, plus the fact that my car trunk is
damaged, and while my CD Changers are in an area that allows them to
stay perfectly dry, they are exposed to the freezing outdoor
temperatures every day.
Also, I believe my laser is getting weak and need some part numbers to
see if it's worth repairing this unit. If I'm lucky I can find the
whole CD deck surplus at a place like MCM, MAT, etc.
Thanks,
Mike
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

Your car trunk isn't insulated so the cold will affect the
CD changer, damage or not. How can you be so certain there's
no moisture getting there? If there's an opening, the water
can splash into it. Or you may get condensation.

Jumpster Jiver wrote:
I don't know what caused one to split - possibly the extreme temperature
changes we've had in my area lately, plus the fact that my car trunk is
damaged, and while my CD Changers are in an area that allows them to
stay perfectly dry, they are exposed to the freezing outdoor
temperatures every day.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver

Jumpster Jiver wrote:

I don't know what caused one to split - possibly the extreme
temperature changes we've had in my area lately, plus the fact that my
car trunk is damaged, and while my CD Changers are in an area that
allows them to stay perfectly dry, they are exposed to the freezing
outdoor temperatures every day.

Well, I've opened the unit at various times and temperatures and
inspected it both visually and by feeling the inner surfaces with my
fingers or wiping with a dry tissue. The worst I've seen was a light
fogging of the lens and the CDs when the interior warms up and the
player's been cold all night. Of course this fogging probabbly occurs
on the internal optics too.
However ( In case you didn't read the original post ) this is one of two
identical players mounted side-by-side and connected to the same head
unit through a source selector, giving me a total of 20 CDs to choose
from. The other unit is performing well, with no signs of skipping,
even when cold.
Also, as far as the possibility of splashing, it's highly unlikely. My
players are exposed to the cold because the car has been hit from
behind, and the bottom li of the trunk, just above the bumper is creased
into a shape that allows cold air to penetrate. The players are mounted
right behind the rear seat, and even a driving rainstorm cannot propel
the water directly yo the players. Condensation...yes, but splashing
water - no.

One of the grease-filled dampers has split open and needs replacement.
I'm looking for part numbers and/or a copy of the service manual so I
can look up part numbers if my diagnosis finds that the laser is getting
weak.

Thanks,
Mike