Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Pickens

Default Zenith 46" PVT4661DT has sound, no picture

Hi...

I have the chance to get the above mentioned TV from my girlfriend's
dad for $150. It turns on and has sound but no picture. He doesn't
remember exactly what was done, but it was repaired once.

He says the guns are fine, but apparently there's a problem with the
main board that's causing this problem. He doesn't know specifically
what though. He did mention that when it was repaired in the past, the
tech that did the work stated that it would happen again in a year. Lo
and behold it died again around a year later.

I question the tech's abilities as it seems the symptom, not the
problem, was treated.

Has anyone had experience with this model or similar models exhibiting
the same problem?

It was made around 1997.

Thanks,

~jp

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Not the technicians abilities, but the horrid quality of Zenith sets
made during the end of Zenith as a real company during the bankruptcy
sell out to LG electronics.

Need some basic troubleshooting information to give any further hints.

BTW $150 for a 9 year old non-working Zentih RPTV is $150 too much.

9-1974 large signal module is probably bad, do a web search for the
price. Even if you find a good technician who can repair this to
component level and still get the parts, the cost to repair typically
runs around $400 for the major repairs on the set that are required.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Erich J. Schultheis, The Man with the 15 inch Cock

Jon Pickens wrote:
Hi...

I have the chance to get the above mentioned TV from my girlfriend's
dad for $150. It turns on and has sound but no picture. He doesn't
remember exactly what was done, but it was repaired once.

He says the guns are fine, but apparently there's a problem with the
main board that's causing this problem. He doesn't know specifically
what though. He did mention that when it was repaired in the past, the
tech that did the work stated that it would happen again in a year. Lo
and behold it died again around a year later.

I question the tech's abilities as it seems the symptom, not the
problem, was treated.

Has anyone had experience with this model or similar models exhibiting
the same problem?

It was made around 1997.

Thanks,

~jp

with all the crap on television nowadays, you would have to be a
COMPLETE ****ING MORON AND A JACKASS TO PAY 150 DOLLARS FOR A
TELEVISION THAT DOESN'T WORK.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Jon Pickens wrote:
Hi...

I have the chance to get the above mentioned TV from my girlfriend's
dad for $150. It turns on and has sound but no picture. He doesn't
remember exactly what was done, but it was repaired once.

He says the guns are fine, but apparently there's a problem with the
main board that's causing this problem. He doesn't know specifically
what though. He did mention that when it was repaired in the past, the
tech that did the work stated that it would happen again in a year. Lo
and behold it died again around a year later.

I question the tech's abilities as it seems the symptom, not the
problem, was treated.

Has anyone had experience with this model or similar models exhibiting
the same problem?

It was made around 1997.

Thanks,

~jp

I sure wouldn't pay for a dead nearly decade old RPTV. I've picked up
half a dozen of them for free over the last few years, gotten most
working by now but they're no picnic to work on. Look a bit harder,
someone will give you one eventually, some will even pay to have a
broken one hauled off.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Pickens

ROTFLMFAO... Ok man... Might wanna see a doctor about the Tourette's
Syndrome. Kinda makes normal conversation a little difficult, don't
'cha think?

"with all the crap on television nowadays"

What a compelling statement to back up your argument......idiot.

For anyone *NOT* interested in being a complete ass like this guy, I
haven't done any TV shopping in years. I was more or less interested
in finding out if the cost of the TV plus repairs would still be
cheaper than a brand new unit.

Thanks,

~jp

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Jon Pickens wrote:
ROTFLMFAO... Ok man... Might wanna see a doctor about the Tourette's
Syndrome. Kinda makes normal conversation a little difficult, don't
'cha think?

"with all the crap on television nowadays"

What a compelling statement to back up your argument......idiot.

For anyone *NOT* interested in being a complete ass like this guy, I
haven't done any TV shopping in years. I was more or less interested
in finding out if the cost of the TV plus repairs would still be
cheaper than a brand new unit.

Of course it would likely be cheaper than a brand new unit, but it won't
be cheaper than a good working used unit of better quality than the Zenith.

Trust me, you don't want to spend money to buy a 10 year old broken TV,
they're just flat out not worth money. Look on craigslist, there's
probably 3 or 4 of them for free, maybe even a nicer unit that's worth
repairing.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Pickens

Thanks for the friendly and helpful advice. I figured this would be
the case, but wanted to run it by others that are more experienced with
this sort of thing.

I think I'll pass on this one...

~jp