Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rob

Default Vintage fish lo-k-tor flasher bulb

I recived a Lowrance Fish Lo-K-Tor "Little Green Box" model 505B from a
friend. I believe it is a 1960s or 1970s vintage fish finder although I
know very little about these. It appears to work, the disk spins, but the
flasher bulb is broken. It appears to be neon bulb about 1 inch long. I
was told by someone that it probably operates at 600V. I did a search on
DigiKey and so no good replacement. I have also searched for schematics on
these fish finders on Google and found nothing. Does anyone know any
details about these bulbs? What operating voltage? Are there any
practical replacements?

- Rob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Rob wrote:
I recived a Lowrance Fish Lo-K-Tor "Little Green Box" model 505B from a
friend. I believe it is a 1960s or 1970s vintage fish finder although I
know very little about these. It appears to work, the disk spins, but the
flasher bulb is broken. It appears to be neon bulb about 1 inch long. I
was told by someone that it probably operates at 600V. I did a search on
DigiKey and so no good replacement. I have also searched for schematics on
these fish finders on Google and found nothing. Does anyone know any
details about these bulbs? What operating voltage? Are there any
practical replacements?

- Rob

Is the bulb one of those elongated versions of the NE-2? If so they were
sometimes used as the 1 "half digit" digit in nixie tube based equipment.

Most neon glow lamps operate at around 90-150v through a suitable series
resistor to limit the current.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

Have you thought of contacting the manufacture directly? Maybe they can
suggest something, or maybe they can supply the original part.

--

JANA
_____

"Rob" wrote in message

I recived a Lowrance Fish Lo-K-Tor "Little Green Box" model 505B from a
friend. I believe it is a 1960s or 1970s vintage fish finder although I
know very little about these. It appears to work, the disk spins, but the
flasher bulb is broken. It appears to be neon bulb about 1 inch long. I
was told by someone that it probably operates at 600V. I did a search on
DigiKey and so no good replacement. I have also searched for schematics on
these fish finders on Google and found nothing. Does anyone know any
details about these bulbs? What operating voltage? Are there any
practical replacements?

- Rob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Rob wrote:
I recived a Lowrance Fish Lo-K-Tor "Little Green Box" model 505B from a
friend. I believe it is a 1960s or 1970s vintage fish finder although I
know very little about these. It appears to work, the disk spins, but the
flasher bulb is broken. It appears to be neon bulb about 1 inch long. I
was told by someone that it probably operates at 600V. I did a search on
DigiKey and so no good replacement. I have also searched for schematics on
these fish finders on Google and found nothing. Does anyone know any
details about these bulbs? What operating voltage? Are there any
practical replacements?

- Rob

Hi Rob...

Do you mean the bulb is broken as in physically broken, or as in doesn't
light?

If you're meaning it doesn't light, it's far, far, far more likely that
the transducer is gone. And remember, it needs at least a reasonable
facsimile of looking through water to operate.

On the other hand, if you mean it's physically broken - it's been a
long time, but I suspect it's just an ne-51h. If you do decide to
try one don't forget to put a resistor in series just in case.

Or, if you'd rather be safe than sorry, try calling fish-lectronics,
(763) 571-1277. They are/were in Minneapolis, USA, and might be willing
to tell you for sure what it is. Maybe even sell you one if it turns
out to be unique.

Good luck, good fishing, and take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rob

Ken Weitzel wrote in

Rob wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice. The light is actually physically broken in two
pieces. So I can safely assume the bulb needs replacing. By
coincidence, I had already called fish lectronics because I live in
Minneapolis. He told me he knew of no replacement for the bulb and did
not have any used ones in his shop.

I will look into the NE-51H and see if it looks similar. I know the
original bulb looks to be about an inch in length and has bare wire
terminals on each end.

- Rob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rob

"JANA" wrote in :

Have you thought of contacting the manufacture directly? Maybe they can
suggest something, or maybe they can supply the original part.

Good point. I was hoping to find something quick on the web. But it
appears this is a real hard part to find. I suspect this is something that
they don't supply anymore but it is worth a shot.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rob

James Sweet wrote in

Rob wrote:
[...]

It could be an NE2 but one lead comes out at each end. The NE2s I have
seen on the web have both leads coming out on the same end. However,
something like that may work.

- Rob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Rob wrote:

[...]

Here's one more thought...

There's one up for auction on e-bay. Comes complete with an
(almost the same) manual.

Wondering if you might "ask the seller" if he'd mind reading the
manual and seeing if the bulb type isn't mentioned?

Might not work if he's just selling stuff, but if he's another
fisherman he probably would be happy to do it for you. Know that
I would, anyway. Heck, he might even scan the manual for you

http://cgi.ebay.ca/LOWRANCE-FISH-LO-...QQcmdZViewItem

If this link is too long, search for fish lo-k-tor; it should be
the third (last) one listed.

Take care.

Ken

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

It could be an NE2 but one lead comes out at each end. The NE2s I have
seen on the web have both leads coming out on the same end. However,
something like that may work.

- Rob

Yeah I've never seen one with a lead at each end. Does it look like it
has long electrodes which glow, or is it more like a neon tube?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

If that doesn't work, it sounds like something a neon sign maker
could make up fast and cheap.

Ken Weitzel wrote in

OT - light bulb JohnM Metalworking 0 August 24th 05 07:33 PM
Evaporative cooler question SteveB Home Repair 105 February 1st 05 01:06 PM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM