Good Music

Default Help! How do you solder epoxy-coated copper threads?

Help! How do you solder coated copper threads? Here is a photo of the
stripped common, left, and right wires on a new set of home audio stereo
headphones:

http://www.eternalgoods.com/temp01.jpg

I bought these with the intention of wiring them into something, but upon
cutting the 1/8" stereo phone jack off, I find the left & right red- and
blue-coated (epoxied?) wires reject solder. I was hoping if I held the hot
bead of solder against the red wire long enough, it would melt through the
coating and stick; no.

How does one make a connection to these types of coated wires? (If anyone
here's built homespun choke coils or transformers, how to you make a
connection to those?)

Thanks
- Goodmusic

Good Music

Found the answers through some websearches:

1. It's an enamel coating, not epoxy

2. First choice seems to be burn it off with solder; doesn't work on this
wire

3. Last choice due to possibly nicking/weakening wire is scrape off some of
the enamel with a sharp knife; will go this route.

- Goodmusic

"Good Music" wrote in message
. ..
Help! How do you solder coated copper threads? Here is a photo of the
stripped common, left, and right wires on a new set of home audio stereo
headphones:

http://www.eternalgoods.com/temp01.jpg

I bought these with the intention of wiring them into something, but upon
cutting the 1/8" stereo phone jack off, I find the left & right red- and
blue-coated (epoxied?) wires reject solder. I was hoping if I held the

hot
bead of solder against the red wire long enough, it would melt through the
coating and stick; no.

How does one make a connection to these types of coated wires? (If anyone
here's built homespun choke coils or transformers, how to you make a
connection to those?)

Thanks
- Goodmusic

You might have some luck with solvents like acetone or mek. Use in a
well-ventilated area.