Default ups apc bk300c

I'd like to disable the sound on my APC BK300C battery backup. I found
the little device on the printed circuit board which is causing the
really annoying and nasty sound. It's a black circular object. Is it
possible to fill in the hole thereby muffling the sound? Or can I
remove the object and re-solder something in it's place?

Here's the little noise maker itself:

http://www.opalfire.net/front.jpg

Here's the top of the printed circuit board ... the circle is where
it's located.

http://www.opalfire.net/top.jpg

Yeah I could try the masking tape thing. But I was really hoping to
totally eliminate the sound. How can I cut one of the leads when it's
flush on the circuit board?

Thanks

Using a sharp Exacto type knife, cut one of the traces on the pwb that
go to the sounder. Make two cuts 1/16 inch apart on whichever trace
goes only to the sounder, and then use the edge of the blade to lift
the copper trace between the two cuts. But I would really try the
masking tape first as it should do a pretty good job and isherder to
screw up than cutting a wrong trace.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Bob in Phx

all joking aside, I normally crush the thing with vice grips. Solves the
issue right quick. Of course, please be sure to unplug the device and the
batteries!!!

bob in phx..

p.s. this is a permanent fix, where as masking tape is temp!!!!!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Using a sharp Exacto type knife, cut one of the traces on the pwb that
go to the sounder. Make two cuts 1/16 inch apart on whichever trace
goes only to the sounder, and then use the edge of the blade to lift
the copper trace between the two cuts. But I would really try the
masking tape first as it should do a pretty good job and isherder to
screw up than cutting a wrong trace.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

jakdedert

Bob in Phx wrote:
all joking aside, I normally crush the thing with vice grips. Solves the
issue right quick. Of course, please be sure to unplug the device and the
batteries!!!

bob in phx..

p.s. this is a permanent fix, where as masking tape is temp!!!!!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Using a sharp Exacto type knife, cut one of the traces on the pwb that
go to the sounder. Make two cuts 1/16 inch apart on whichever trace
goes only to the sounder, and then use the edge of the blade to lift
the copper trace between the two cuts. But I would really try the
masking tape first as it should do a pretty good job and isherder to
screw up than cutting a wrong trace.

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Great minds....

I hadn't read the above before I posted the exact fix.

jak

Sounds like a plan ... I'll let you know how it goes ... thanks for the
ideas! Since I've not had much experience with circuit boards I wasn't
sure what to do.

Thanks!

All worked fine guys thanks for your help! I now have a noiseless
battery backup!

I just would have assumed removing that sounder would have somehow
caused the device not to work.