Gel-Cell Battery repair?

Old August 14th 05, 07:20 PM
Chris F.

Default Gel-Cell Battery repair?

I got a couple of rather large gel-cell batteries the other day (the
largest is a 12V 24ah) but it turns out they weren't such a great find.
Neither will take a charge; with the charger connected, neither battery will
draw so much as a single milliamp. Both batteries have a number of little
round covers; underneath the covers are small rubber caps covering a hole. I
noted that when I removed one of the rubber caps, there was a small inrush
of air as if there was a vacuum inside. My guess is that both batteries have
"dried up", possibly from lack of use. Is it as simple as adding water, and
if so, exactly how much and what kind (distilled, tap, etc) should be used?
Thanks for any advice.

Old August 14th 05, 08:04 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris F. wrote:
I got a couple of rather large gel-cell batteries the other day (the
largest is a 12V 24ah)

That's not large;-) We use 100 Ah types for powering location broadcasting
units. And that limit is purely through the weight for carrying.

but it turns out they weren't such a great find. Neither will take a
charge; with the charger connected, neither battery will draw so much as
a single milliamp. Both batteries have a number of little round covers;
underneath the covers are small rubber caps covering a hole. I noted
that when I removed one of the rubber caps, there was a small inrush of
air as if there was a vacuum inside. My guess is that both batteries
have "dried up", possibly from lack of use. Is it as simple as adding
water, and if so, exactly how much and what kind (distilled, tap, etc)
should be used?

IMHO, when any type of lead acid is dead, it's dead. If they've been left
discharged for any length of time for whatever reason they can't be sorted.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 14th 05, 09:01 PM
Jerry G.

Gell cells are not servicable. They must be replaced when they go
defective. You are supposed to have the old ones properly disposed of.

Jerry G.
======

Old August 15th 05, 12:33 AM
Chris F.

"Jerry G." wrote in message
oups.com...
Gell cells are not servicable. They must be replaced when they go
defective. You are supposed to have the old ones properly disposed of.

Jerry G.
======

So what's with the little covered panels on top? I thought maybe it was a
place to add water.....

Old August 15th 05, 01:28 AM
3T39

Hello, Chris!
You wrote on Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:33:19 GMT:

CF "Jerry G." wrote in message
CF oups.com...
?? Gell cells are not servicable. They must be replaced when they go
?? defective. You are supposed to have the old ones properly disposed of.
??
?? Jerry G.
?? ======
CF So what's with the little covered panels on top? I thought maybe it was
CF a place to add water.....

Nope, they are there to provide a safety vent in case of a fault developing
that might otherwise cause a bang.

With best regards, 3T39. E-mail:

Old August 15th 05, 05:02 AM
James Sweet

"Jerry G." wrote in message
oups.com...
Gell cells are not servicable. They must be replaced when they go
defective. You are supposed to have the old ones properly disposed of.

That's easy enough, anywhere that sells car batteries will take just about
any sort of dead lead acid batteries for disposal. I take them down to the
local Schucks autoparts.

Old August 15th 05, 08:21 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris F. wrote:
Is there any way to "revive" them by applying higher charge voltage or
something?

No.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Old August 16th 05, 12:37 AM
Chris F.

I found a website that had plans for a "desulfator" that claims to be able
to revive at least a small percentage of such dead batteries. These
batteries probably failed from sulfation, as they were hardly used and kept
in storage for years. I'll give it a try sometime.

Old August 16th 05, 05:26 AM
Jim Adney

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:37:30 GMT "Chris F."
wrote:

I found a website that had plans for a "desulfator" that claims to be able
to revive at least a small percentage of such dead batteries. These
batteries probably failed from sulfation, as they were hardly used and kept
in storage for years. I'll give it a try sometime.

Sulfation can be cured by long slow trickle charging, but cells which
have actually dried out can only be fixed by adding water. In most gel
cells and starved lead acid cells this is difficult, if not
impossible.

Unfortunately, the onex I had were dried out, and even after cutting
one of them open, I couldn't figure out any reasonable way to get
water in there without destroying them.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Cordless phone handset battery, usage? Terry Electronics Repair 4 April 2nd 05 01:12 AM
Hacking UPS aurgathor Electronics Repair 16 December 4th 04 09:11 AM
Battery life tests Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 September 22nd 04 09:39 PM
Ohmwork [email protected] Home Repair 36 July 24th 04 01:22 AM
Installed new battery backup for home alarm Redtag UK diy 68 December 17th 03 10:41 AM