lbbss

Default Electric pressure washer looses pressure after 8 sec.

I have a small Simoniz Pressure washer 1300psi (1700 psi with special
nozzle). I used it one this summer and it worked fine. The second time I
used it, it started loosing pressure after 8seconds or so. So if I let go
of the trigger, and wait 15 seconds or so, then I get pressure again for
8sec. But if I continue using it after it looses pressure it lows the
breakers in my house (because it's drawing too much power). Any idea why
that happens and how to fix it? The unit is about 4 years old and used
twice each summer. Thanks.

CJT

lbbss wrote:
I have a small Simoniz Pressure washer 1300psi (1700 psi with special
nozzle). I used it one this summer and it worked fine. The second time I
used it, it started loosing pressure after 8seconds or so. So if I let go
of the trigger, and wait 15 seconds or so, then I get pressure again for
8sec. But if I continue using it after it looses pressure it lows the
breakers in my house (because it's drawing too much power). Any idea why
that happens and how to fix it? The unit is about 4 years old and used
twice each summer. Thanks.

The first thing I'd try is some lubrication.

lubricate which parts? Do I need to unscrew the main body casing?
thanks

mike

lbbss wrote:
I have a small Simoniz Pressure washer 1300psi (1700 psi with special
nozzle). I used it one this summer and it worked fine. The second time I
used it, it started loosing pressure after 8seconds or so. So if I let go
of the trigger, and wait 15 seconds or so, then I get pressure again for
8sec. But if I continue using it after it looses pressure it lows the
breakers in my house (because it's drawing too much power). Any idea why
that happens and how to fix it? The unit is about 4 years old and used
twice each summer. Thanks.

Typical problem with cheap universal motors is that the brush holder
is made of plastic.
So, you overload it, it runs hot. After a while the plastic brush
holder melts where it contacts the metal. It's still running fine,
cause it's hot. But when you let off the trigger, the plastic that's
oozed onto the brush hardens. Now the brush is frozen and there's lots
of arcing and sparking on the commutator. If you let this go on, it
really tears up the commutator and the brush. If you catch it early,
you can free the brush and shine up the commutator.

The fix is to disassemble the motor and free the brushes. Technique
depends somewhat on the construction. On my chainsaw, I use a big
soldering iron to heat the metal just enough to free the brush. Then
take half an hour with a tiny rat-tail file and xacto knife to get all
the plastic out. Works fine until I forget and try to cut a limb too
big and it starts all over again. Same problem with the electric lawn
edger.

mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Andy

Make sure the water inlet is not restricted by blocked filter sometimes
fitted in water inlet coupling , or hose is not being kinked . When the
volume of water going in is restricted
the outlet high pressure cannot be maintained, think of 'Pressure times
volume equals a constant '