Default rca repair charges

why would anyone pay close to $125 to repair a set that can be bought
new for around $100 by the way rca and ge are now owned by the chinese
goverment and they are sticking the rca-ge names on even cheaper made
sets and flooding the market with them I saw a 27" rca flat screen at
wal- mart for $167

NSM

wrote in message
l...

Because sometimes repair is the right way to do it. The older TV set
might be a nicer one or a more robust design. Especially in this
newsgroup most people know or learn how to perform their own repairs,
so the cost will be nowhere near 125 dollars.

By the way, I thought RCA an GE were still owned by the French?

The brands are, (Thompson-Houston IIRC), but IMO they stick the brand on any
piece of crap that won't sell otherwise.

James Sweet

wrote in message
ups.com...
why would anyone pay close to $125 to repair a set that can be bought
new for around $100 by the way rca and ge are now owned by the chinese
goverment and they are sticking the rca-ge names on even cheaper made
sets and flooding the market with them I saw a 27" rca flat screen at
wal- mart for $167

The cost to repair a set has nothing to do with what the set costs to buy or
is worth. In short, people don't pay to have the cheap junk fixed and that's
just fine with RCA, they want to sell you a new set. And if you pay $167
what do you expect? It's a cheap disposable set, when it breaks you throw it
out and buy a new one.

NSM

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Here I go again...

I agree; far far better to continue to needlessly
squander more and more of the earth's finite resources.
To fill up landfill sites. To make sure that fellow
young countrymen have no possible employment futures in
the repair business. To further destroy the environment
with manufacturing "exhausts". To waste more and more
fuel shipping junk halfway round the world. And to send
more and more of our dollars off to far away countries.

The US aquired their country from the indigenous people
with flimsy shiny trinkets. Now China is aquiring North
America with flimsy shiny trinkets.

Sorry for the sarcasm and the old man rant. Just gets
me so mad....

I am not unmoved by the arguments in favor of globalization and free imports
and exports. However I believe these arguments are based on false premises
and that disaster may well ensue as a result.

Art

Not Disaster, Opportunity!! Our young were suggested to try and learn
Japanese as a second language since that seemed to be the economic challenge
globally, then it seemed to be Contentinental English, French, German,
French, Etc. now it may be Chinese. Whet next, Roumlounian, from Space
Balls??
Economically we are turning the American Infrastructure into a consumer and
service based process. Sure, we have a lot of "New Innovations" created
here by our Highly Skilled and Excellently Compensated Engineers,
Scientists, Etc only to have these ideas sold to the highest bidder who
will produce products at the lowest common denominators for consumption.
This seems to include Automobiles, Aircraft, Consumer electronics,
Clothing, and even designer foods. Now, enuf of the rant!!
WE are considered to be professionals in servicing consumer electronic
devices. Therefore we must understand the product, be able to get a
relatively secure source of technical information and parts, and then be
proficient in diagnosing and repairing these infernal devices. If the
customer has a device that they deem serviceable then we are to at least
give them a viable chance to have the item returned to useable form, within
relevant cost constraints and ability of necessary replacement components.
Particular value is the consideration of the consumer and should be
respected by the professional technicians servicing them. Some of the older
technologies were a bit more robust than what is currently being produced,
this is a proven fact. However, the average consumer wants a "Instant Fix"
and does not want to be bothered with on-going maintenance. The choice is
the consumer's choice as to what will be done, repair or replacement. Fix
the old, more reliably designed item or opt for the newer, obviously
cheaper and more fragile device. Leave the choice up to the consumer,
service the products until it no longer is economically feasible for us to
do so, then change your profession to support yourself. Cheers!

"NSM" wrote in message news:AiIBe.92287$wr.8708@clgrps12...

[...]

Leonard Caillouet

"NSM" wrote in message news:AiIBe.92287$wr.8708@clgrps12...
I am not unmoved by the arguments in favor of globalization and free
imports
and exports. However I believe these arguments are based on false premises
and that disaster may well ensue as a result.

What false premises, exactly do you see?

Leonard

PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

wrote in message
ups.com...
why would anyone pay close to $125 to repair a set that can be bought
new for around $100 by the way rca and ge are now owned by the chinese
goverment and they are sticking the rca-ge names on even cheaper made
sets and flooding the market with them I saw a 27" rca flat screen at
wal- mart for $167

I like fixing consumer electronics because I can, and because I can do it
inexpensively and quickly (mostly). I admit that on the surface the
economics of the situation would appear to dictate the consumer should trash
the older non-working television and rush out to the nearest big box store
to buy a new one, but consumers are irrational and they develop attachments
to inanimate objects, plus some consumers are actually responsible and
prefer to "recycle and reuse" instead of clogging their local landfills with
non-biodegradable trash.

How you like 'them apples?

NSM

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message

"NSM" wrote in message

I am not unmoved by the arguments in favor of globalization and free
imports
and exports. However I believe these arguments are based on false

premises
and that disaster may well ensue as a result.

What false premises, exactly do you see?

First, a very simplistic analysis of exports and imports and their effects
on the economy. It is a far cry from the export of cotton goods from England
to France and the import of brandy from France to England, all in the 18th
century, to the wholesale export of all manufacturing from the US to China
in the 21st.

Leonard Caillouet

"NSM" wrote in message

I am not unmoved by the arguments in favor of globalization and free
imports
and exports. However I believe these arguments are based on false

premises
and that disaster may well ensue as a result.

What false premises, exactly do you see?

First, a very simplistic analysis of exports and imports and their effects
on the economy. It is a far cry from the export of cotton goods from
England
to France and the import of brandy from France to England, all in the 18th
century, to the wholesale export of all manufacturing from the US to China
in the 21st.

What data are you using for your analysis?

Leonard

NSM

"Leonard Caillouet" wrote in message
.. .

What data are you using for your analysis?

Data? I am commenting on the talking heads who tell us how great it will all
be when everything is made in China, or some cheaper place. They don't seem
to be able to tell us what jobs we are going to do when that happens, or
what will happen if there is a major disruption in shipping and the home
factories need to be rapidly revived.

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 05:04:34 GMT, Ken Weitzel
wrote:

Ken...I always prided myself, while in the repair business, as being a
recycler as well... :-)

Tom

wrote:

[...]

Ken

Chris F.

One thing you have to give Thompson credit for - they make replacement parts
available much longer than most other manufacturers. I can still get
original high-voltage caps for '91-model RCA's......

"NSM" wrote in message
news_zBe.132806$tt5.62398@edtnps90...