Asimov

Default How solder to very fine enamelled woven wires in earphone lead?

"Will" bravely wrote to "All" (14 May 05 13:38:12)
--- on the heady topic of "How solder to very fine enamelled woven wires in
earphone lead?"

Wi Subject: How solder to very fine enamelled woven wires in earphone
Wi lead? From: Will
Wi Xref: aeinews alt.engineering.electrical:22349
Wi sci.electronics.components:13939 sci.electronics.repair:48119
Wi sci.electronics.basics:27822

Wi I have some Sony in-ear headphones. The lead to one earpiece has
Wi been cut through completely and I want to rejoin the two wires
Wi (which I will call 'conductors' to avoid confusion).

Wi The two 'conductors' inside the lead are rather thin. And what is
Wi more, each of the two 'conductors' is made up of something like a
Wi dozen smaller copper wires which are woven around some very fine
Wi threads (perhaps the threads are very fine polyester yarn). The
Wi threads run along the lead as the core of the 'conductor'.

Wi The wires of one of these two 'conductors' looks like bare copper
Wi and is unoxidised so I can probably solder to it. But the OTHER
Wi CONDUCTOR is the PROBLEM because its fine wires are enamelled.

Wi How can I remove this enamel coating in order to be able to solder
Wi to the fine copper wires of the 'conductor'?

There is an enamel stripping liquid available in electronics supply
stores. I generally just run a hot tip over it to singe the enamel a
little then dip the end into paste flux. It usually works but if it
turns into a burnt mess I didn't do it right and start over.
There is also electric arc welding flux which is based on hydrochloric
acid. If this doesn't get the enamel off then nothing will! ;-)

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... "Bother!" said Pooh, as he saw the sparks and smelled the smoke.

Brian

OMG! Buy a new pair of headphones!

none

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:30:04 -0500, "Brian"
wrote:

OMG! Buy a new pair of headphones!

OMG! NOT if the old ones are still serviceable!
NEVER let it hit the ground!

legg

wrote:

OMG! Buy a new pair of headphones!

Valley Girls and soldering irons, a curious mix.

RL
Watson A.Name - \Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\

wrote:

OMG! Buy a new pair of headphones!

Valley Girls and soldering irons, a curious mix.

RL

Valley Girls? More like IM freak. I was watching one young lady IMing
yesterday and it was pretty much shorthand for words, like u and b4 and
y not and etc. A really good way to ruin the english skills of the
younger generation.

John Fields

On Tue, 17 May 2005 05:39:44 -0700, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the
Dark Remover\"" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

OMG! Buy a new pair of headphones!

Valley Girls and soldering irons, a curious mix.

RL

Valley Girls? More like IM freak. I was watching one young lady IMing
yesterday and it was pretty much shorthand for words, like u and b4 and
y not and etc. A really good way to ruin the english skills of the
younger generation.

---
"English".

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Rich Grise

wrote:

OMG! Buy a new pair of headphones!

Valley Girls and soldering irons, a curious mix.

RL

Valley Girls? More like IM freak. I was watching one young lady IMing
yesterday and it was pretty much shorthand for words, like u and b4 and y
not and etc. A really good way to ruin the english skills of the younger
generation.

On, I think, the Leno show the other night, they got a couple of IM
kiddies off the street, and two Morse Code operators that they'd hired,
and did a contest. They had two tables at opposite ends of the stage,
and they set a code guy and an IM kid at each table, and at one table
they had two identical messages, and the deal was, "Which is faster?"

Morse Code won. :-) :-) :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise

On Tue, 17 May 2005 03:39:37 -0500, none wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:30:04 -0500, "Brian" wrote:

OMG! Buy a new pair of headphones!

OMG! NOT if the old ones are still serviceable! NEVER let it hit the
ground!

Well, after he's done screwing around with that horrid wire, the box
will be hanging around his chin anyway. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

How solder to very fine enamelled woven wires in earphone lead? Boris Mohar Electronics Repair 18 May 21st 05 01:24 AM
wiring a three phase motor Karl Townsend Metalworking 4 October 25th 03 03:01 PM
Solder Bryan Electronics 2 August 23rd 03 07:37 PM
I LOVE Speedfit! David W.E. Roberts UK diy 53 August 14th 03 05:05 PM
OT electrical question Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 24 August 1st 03 02:36 AM