Aux battery fridge relay wiring

Old May 15th 05, 08:25 AM
Mel

Default Aux battery fridge relay wiring

Hi,
I have a Halfords "auxiliary battery and fridge supply" wired relay(No.
473553)that I am wanting to fit to my car / caravan.
I bought it several years ago but have lost the fitting instructions.

The relay has the numbers 1 to 6 along the top of the case but only 5
wires coming out at the bottom:

Starting under the number 1 they a

Thin purple, medium length
Thick red, long length
Thick green, short length, with 15A inline fuse
Thin black, short length
Thick green, long length

If anyone has an idiot's guide to installing this unit I would be
very thankful for a copy.

Regards

Mel Sharpe

Old May 15th 05, 09:46 AM
Rheilly Phoull

One day Mel got dressed and committed to text

Hi,
I have a Halfords "auxiliary battery and fridge supply" wired
relay(No. 473553)that I am wanting to fit to my car / caravan.
I bought it several years ago but have lost the fitting instructions.

The relay has the numbers 1 to 6 along the top of the case but only 5
wires coming out at the bottom:

Starting under the number 1 they a

Thin purple, medium length
Thick red, long length
Thick green, short length, with 15A inline fuse
Thin black, short length
Thick green, long length

If anyone has an idiot's guide to installing this unit I would be
very thankful for a copy.

Regards

Mel Sharpe

From that info I would guess that the coil wires are the purple and black,
the supply to the 'center' of the changeover contacts will be the green.
Start off by connecting the black and purple wires to 12v and listen for a
'click'. If that goes well then connect the green to the plus on the battery
and see which of the other wires is energised when the relay is 'on'. You
could verify the coil wires with an ohmeter (measure the resistance across
the black and purple), could be anything from a few hundred ohms to a few
thousand ohms. Similarly the main contacts.

--
Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Old May 15th 05, 12:10 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Mel wrote:
Thin purple, medium length
Thick red, long length
Thick green, short length, with 15A inline fuse
Thin black, short length
Thick green, long length

If anyone has an idiot's guide to installing this unit I would be
very thankful for a copy.

It's a relay with SPDT contacts, at a guess.

The two thin wires will be the relay coil. I'd guess the green with the
fuse will be common, but to be certain you'll need some form of continuity
tester like an ohm meter and check which two contacts are made with the
coil off and energised.

How is it meant to work? Does it simply run the fridge off the car battery
with the engine running, and revert automatically to the caravan battery
when it isn't?

Sorry not to know, but I'm not a caravan person. ;-)

If so, I'd guess the green with fuse goes to the fridge, thick red to car
battery, and thick green to caravan one. But that's only the way I'd make
the colours - to be certain you'll need to test first.

The thin black to ground, and the thin purple to an ignition controlled
supply.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 15th 05, 01:16 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Mel wrote:
I have a Halfords "auxiliary battery and fridge supply" wired relay(No.
473553)that I am wanting to fit to my car / caravan.
I bought it several years ago but have lost the fitting instructions.

uk.rec.cars.maintenance might be a better bet.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.*