Jackie Lowe

Default john deere gx355

Any idea's on the cause and fix for engine starting as normal but stops as
soon as the key is released?

--
Jackie Lowe

Wayne Tiffany

My first thought is that the ignition switch is not keeping the ignition
line hot in the run position. But, I really don't know any specifics about
that model. Being a diesel, some kind of valve has to be closing to stop
the engine and shut off the fuel, and that valve may be in the injector
pump.

WT

"Jackie Lowe" wrote in message
Any idea's on the cause and fix for engine starting as normal but stops as
soon as the key is released?

--
Jackie Lowe

Ken Weitzel

Jackie Lowe wrote:
Any idea's on the cause and fix for engine starting as normal but stops as
soon as the key is released?

Hi Jackie...

Don't know John Deere stuff, much less what a gx355 is, but
if it's of any help... in the pre computerized automobile
days what you describe was a pretty common fault.

There was a resistor in series with the ignition coil primary.
This resistor was shorted while the engine was cranking,
but "un-shorted" the instant the key was released.

As I recall they were pretty easy to spot; maybe 20 or 25
watts or so.

Take care.

Ken

cnctut

Not familiar with the gx355--my Cat 3208 has a fuel cutoff selinoid
(sp) that energizes when the key is turned to start and allows fuel to
flow to fuel pump. If the voltage is lost when the key is returned to
the run position--the engine will stop. A voltage ohm meter (VOM)
across the the fuel cutoff selinoid would tell you the voltage is
cutting off when the key is turn to run.

Good luck

I had a 1985 Mercury Grand Prix that did the same thing. It had an
electric fuel pump that had two wires going to it. One wire was a
regular wire from the start position of the starter solenoid that sent
the full 12 volts to the pump. The other wire was a high resistance
wire from the run position of the solenoid that sent a reduced voltage
to the pump. The high resistance wire was very stiff and broken in the
insulation half way to the pump. I put a jumper on the solenoid and
sent the full 12 volts to the pump. It was still working when I got
rid of the car about 5 years later. Ford put out a TSB on this problem
later on.

Van

John Carr Doorsets Tim Jenkins UK diy 0 April 7th 04 06:27 PM
I ain't No senator's son... Gunner Metalworking 1 February 9th 04 06:56 AM
IMM, Andy, Nat Philiso, John, etc, some more advice please Suz UK diy 18 October 8th 03 11:05 PM
OT-for those whom bashed John Lott Gunner Metalworking 3 August 5th 03 10:41 PM