Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default I'm available for projects

I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 05/12/2016 02:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson

How about writing that book I've been bugging you about?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 May 2016 15:09:45 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 05/12/2016 02:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson

How about writing that book I've been bugging you about?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

I ponder that, but I'm not sure I'd be good at writing... circuit
design is so easy for me I'm not sure I can explain how I do it ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Start with some examples, and write them as you go along. I find that
writing or rewriting sections when I'm actually doing the task described
improves them greatly.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson
Wrote in message:
I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

In the mid 1980s, Roland had International Rectifier design a
custom chip called the IR3R05 for their analog synthesisers. I
think it was a 14 pin package...it basically consisted of 4 OTA
stages like the Lm13700 configured as a 24 db/octave resonant low
pass filter with inputs for voltage controlled frequency and
resonance, along with a VCA with both linear and exponential
inputs, all on the chip. The 4 filter capacitors were mounted off
chip on the board.

What kind of job would it be to design a chip or maybe a
daughterboard that performed an equivalent function? These chips
often fail in vintage equipment and there seems to be a decent
sized market for replacements that dont require scrounging for
NOS or cannibalizing old units.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 12 May 2016 17:12:48 -0400 (EDT), bitrex
wrote:

Jim Thompson
Wrote in message:
[...]

I'm sure I could replicate the chip, but I don't do PCB layout, that's
another skillset altogether.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson
Wrote in message:
On Thu, 12 May 2016 17:12:48 -0400 (EDT), bitrex
wrote:

Jim Thompson
Wrote in message:
[...]

Good thing I've got that skillset. ; )

I wonder it the required components could be squeezed into a
daughterboard that would fit the space available. Might require
some vertical mounting hack.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 5/12/2016 2:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, go buy a fishing pole.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 05/12/2016 08:42 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:
On 5/12/2016 2:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, go buy a fishing pole.

That would rather involve water. Jim lives in the outskirts of Phoenix.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 5/12/2016 8:50 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 05/12/2016 08:42 PM, Tom Biasi wrote:
On 5/12/2016 2:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, go buy a fishing pole.

That would rather involve water. Jim lives in the outskirts of Phoenix.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

He's got time to take a ride. I think you got the gist of my comment.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

How about writing that book I've been bugging you about?

I ponder that, but I'm not sure I'd be good at writing... circuit
design is so easy for me I'm not sure I can explain how I do it ;-)

You have a granddaughter with that circuit lab kit. Eventually you will
explain things. Just think about how you will do that.

Or occupy your time by riding a bike over the Himalayas like Pease did.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

How about writing that book I've been bugging you about?

I ponder that, but I'm not sure I'd be good at writing... circuit
design is so easy for me I'm not sure I can explain how I do it ;-)

You have a granddaughter with that circuit lab kit. Eventually you will
explain things. Just think about how you will do that.

Or occupy your time by riding a bike over the Himalayas like Pease did.

Grand_son_... 8 years old... the same one who's on the All Star Inline
Hockey Team and was just awarded a trophy for best defensive player of
the whole league ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

How about writing that book I've been bugging you about?

I ponder that, but I'm not sure I'd be good at writing... circuit
design is so easy for me I'm not sure I can explain how I do it ;-)

You have a granddaughter with that circuit lab kit. Eventually you
will explain things. Just think about how you will do that.

Or occupy your time by riding a bike over the Himalayas like Pease
did.

Grand_son_... 8 years old... the same one who's on the All Star Inline
Hockey Team and was just awarded a trophy for best defensive player of
the whole league ;-)

Well then just pretend that he's going to be an engineer and not a
goalie.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

How about writing that book I've been bugging you about?

I ponder that, but I'm not sure I'd be good at writing... circuit
design is so easy for me I'm not sure I can explain how I do it ;-)

You have a granddaughter with that circuit lab kit. Eventually you
will explain things. Just think about how you will do that.

Or occupy your time by riding a bike over the Himalayas like Pease
did.

Grand_son_... 8 years old... the same one who's on the All Star Inline
Hockey Team and was just awarded a trophy for best defensive player of
the whole league ;-)

Well then just pretend that he's going to be an engineer and not a
goalie.

He's super with math, and loves the circuit lab upgrade I gave him at
Christmas. But he's struggling with reading... a bit of dyslexia...
time to hire a tutor (I would do it, but he needs an authoritarian
type to keep him from deviating from work and controlling the
conversation... he's a charmer... seeks out the girls in the crowd...
and he's only 8 ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

Liberalism: Dictatorship By The People Who Think They Know Best
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

How about writing that book I've been bugging you about?

I ponder that, but I'm not sure I'd be good at writing... circuit
design is so easy for me I'm not sure I can explain how I do it
;-)

You have a granddaughter with that circuit lab kit. Eventually you
will explain things. Just think about how you will do that.

Or occupy your time by riding a bike over the Himalayas like Pease
did.

Grand_son_... 8 years old... the same one who's on the All Star
Inline Hockey Team and was just awarded a trophy for best defensive
player of the whole league ;-)

Well then just pretend that he's going to be an engineer and not a
goalie.

He's super with math, and loves the circuit lab upgrade I gave him at
Christmas. But he's struggling with reading... a bit of dyslexia...
time to hire a tutor (I would do it, but he needs an authoritarian
type to keep him from deviating from work and controlling the
conversation... he's a charmer... seeks out the girls in the crowd...
and he's only 8 ;-)

I first kissed a girl at 7, and was made fun of more for that than for
doing experiments.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Today, you'd be expelled (for either).
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Maybe he is gay. At that age, I doubt he is horny.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

bitrex wrote:

[...]

The amps in old Tek scopes also go bad, and there's a market for
replacing them too. I suggested years ago that somebody should make a
DIP module to replace them. Today's standard op-amps could do it I bet.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 06/04/2016 09:41 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
bitrex wrote:

[...]

A lot of Tek scopes use weirdly high supply voltages.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 5/12/2016 1:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson

Did you complete the audio compressor/limiter you were working on for
a bit?
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 07:42:17 -0500, amdx wrote:

On 5/12/2016 1:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I sit here bored out of my skull with nothing to do but play Solitaire
until the next project start on July 5 ;-)

I'm noted for custom Analog/Mixed-Signal Design and Spice Behavioral
Modeling, but I also do designs using off-the-shelf components.

No project is too small... I've even done one-day designs from
time-to-time.

Drop me an E-mail (*)

(*) Do not include attachments in your first E-mail... An E-mail not
matching an entry in my addressbook and with an attachment drops your
E-mail into a black hole.

...Jim Thompson

Did you complete the audio compressor/limiter you were working on for
a bit?
Mikek

I don't even remember that ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | |

I'm looking for work... see my website.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 6/14/2016 7:55 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
[...]

As I recall it was a personal project, you had ask a question here about it.
I'm interested because I use an FM transmitter to transmit my internet
radio audio around the house/yard. Some internet radio signals have high
volume some have low, and sometimes it's different between programs*.
I'd like to level this, without adjusting the transmitter input level
each time I switch internet stations.

Did you ever listen to these radio shows as a youngster?
Gunsmoke, William Conrad voices Matt Dillion, The Six Shooter with
Jimmy Stewart, Dragnet with Jack Webb, Bold Venture staring Humphrey
Bogart and Lauren Bacall, The Adventures of Philip Marlowe,
Our Miss Brooks with Eve Arden, and of course The Shadow?

* I often listen to Old Time Radio Programs, and there can be a level
difference between shows.

Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 10:04:15 -0500, amdx wrote:

[...]

I'm much older... I'm of "The Fat Man" and "The Lone Ranger" era.

I guess you missed this part of the compressor thread...

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Best Audio Clipping Ind Circuit
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[snip]

Use a compressor instead, like...

http://tinyurl.com/4npqpcl

I use one to level everything out of my Roku Soundbridge before it
goes to my sound system... since streaming feeds on the Internet are
so variable in amplitude.

...Jim Thompson

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[snip]

Use a compressor instead, like...

http://tinyurl.com/4npqpcl

I use one to level everything out of my Roku Soundbridge before it
goes to my sound system... since streaming feeds on the Internet are
so variable in amplitude.

...Jim Thompson

I did miss that part, or forgot it because I didn't want to spend that
much.
So I take it that's what you bought, and you are happy with it?

Yes the "Fat Man" and "The Lone Ranger" have also played on the Internet
stations I listen to, I'd rather listen to "Fat Man" than
"The Lone Ranger", Gunsmoke would probably be my favorite, but I enjoy
most of the detective stories, Dragnet and Philip Marlowe etc.

Went on a search and found this compressor.
https://www.amazon.com/rolls-SL33B-S...dio+compressor

I'll search a bit more but think I'll buy that one.

Mikek

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[snip]

Use a compressor instead, like...

http://tinyurl.com/4npqpcl

I use one to level everything out of my Roku Soundbridge before it
goes to my sound system... since streaming feeds on the Internet are
so variable in amplitude.

...Jim Thompson

I did miss that part, or forgot it because I didn't want to spend that
much.
So I take it that's what you bought, and you are happy with it?

Yep. Works for radio, but not so well for TV movies which can have
significant pauses between speaking... thus the volume runs up and
down.

One reviewer of your selection comments short attack (good), short
decay (bad).

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[snip]

Use a compressor instead, like...

http://tinyurl.com/4npqpcl

I use one to level everything out of my Roku Soundbridge before it
goes to my sound system... since streaming feeds on the Internet are
so variable in amplitude.

...Jim Thompson

I did miss that part, or forgot it because I didn't want to spend that
much.
So I take it that's what you bought, and you are happy with it?

Yep. Works for radio, but not so well for TV movies which can have
significant pauses between speaking... thus the volume runs up and
down.

One reviewer of your selection comments short attack (good), short
decay (bad).

I noted that, also saw it was the only review like that. If it is
objectionable, I'll return it, if it works reasonably well it can always
be tweaked.
If it wasn't for buying enclosures, variable resistors and connectors,
it would be cheap to build. :-) There is a schematic online, although
someone said it has a few errors.

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[...]

I designed a compressor for a hearing aid about 48 years ago...
testing it before I got it working correctly... blew a hole in my left
eardrum :-(

...Jim Thompson

From: Jim Thompson
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[...]

Bummer about the eardrum!
I reviewed again that negative review on Amazon, she said by adding
10uf to 100uf cap from emitter to collector of Q1 eliminated the raspyness.
Only problem is, as I see it the units has 1 single IC and no
transistors. I wonder if it she has an older or newer unit.
Her review is recent, the published schematic is May 2009.
I think she just may be confused.
Mikek

From: Jim Thompson

Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:19:18 -0700

[...]

I need to apologize to the reviewer.
I received the Rolls SL338 program Limiter.
It has a schematic and shows the unit has been revised from their
original schematic that was posted online. The new schematic has a
couple of optoisolators, and most important, one transistor labeled Q1!
I have it hooked up, but I'm not ready to make any comments yet. I
need to solve some hum and breakthrough problems, possibly caused by the
FM antenna to close to the limiter.
Listening to Dragnet, Jack Webb is advertising Chesterfields. :-)
Also an ad asking for blood donations to get gamma globulin to help
fight polo.
It also had an ad for Fatima cigarettes, that's one I never heard of.
http://graphic-design.tjs-labs.com/s...?id=1174783428

Mikek

diy projects to do. happy zombie jebus on the cross UK diy 28 August 26th 13 12:42 PM
Two Projects Sonny Woodworking 20 February 15th 13 10:15 PM
Need some new projects? Jerome Cooper Woodworking 3 March 10th 11 02:34 AM
do all projects end like this? Nate Nagel Home Repair 35 December 5th 07 04:29 AM