Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.binaries.schematics.electronics

Default Connecting Internet from Cable TV Provider

I'm having internet & phone installed from the cable company. Does the attached sketch look like a reasonable plan? I'm trying to keep the cable as short as possible and to keep from running cable thru the attic.

Are these things reasonable, or something the installer might not want to do?....

1. The last TV cable (removed 20 years ago) had been connected at the same place as the telephone cable which now run through a tree. So I'm thinking a new cable connection up high would be a quicker installation and shorter length. Also will save having them come out again when tree-trimming time comes around. Phone lines can be removed once cable is installed.

2. I noticed that the neighbor's cable was run on the outside of the fascia board. It looks bad and is exposed to the weather. Is it reasonable to ask that it be installed on the inside of the fascia?

3. I have been told there will be a new interconnection box installed on an outside wall. I'd like to have it installed on the garage wall and not on either of the house walls because of plans to add on to those 2 walls.

Thanks fellers!!

SJ

Attached Thumbnails
Connecting Internet from Cable TV Provider-cablerun-gif
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.binaries.schematics.electronics

Sasquatch Jones wrote:

[...]

Why are you asking here, instead of asking the cable company?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.binaries.schematics.electronics

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message ...

Sasquatch Jones wrote:

[...]

That was the first thing I tried, but can only get someone offshore who either has no technical info or just wants to add services I don't need.

In my case, once the cable is pulled to the house, they will need to run it 30-ft under the eaves and another 30-ft to where the computer is. On the phone, they said they would make all connections including to the computer, but could not tell me if 60-ft total was included in the standard installation. Others have said that installers are sub-contractors who will try to get extra $$ any way they can.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.binaries.schematics.electronics

Sasquatch Jones wrote:

[...]

My experience with cable company contractors is that they are only
permitted to do certain things because they don't want liability. I
don't think they will have a problem with routing it under the eaves,
but they may want to bring it into the house at the nearest point.

As to extra charges, that depends on how the installer interprets the
rules. I wouldn't expect a 60 ft run to be a problem.

Let us know how you make out.

--

Rick
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.binaries.schematics.electronics

Sasquatch Jones wrote:

[...]

You need to talk to the local company representative.
Long story longer...
My neighbor's landline quit. We talked with the Frontier repair guy
about FIOS.
He got on the phone with the local "fixer" and we discussed where
the "box" would go. Straight shot from the street to the house exactly
where the computer was.
A week later, the advance crew showed up unannounced with their horizontal
drill and proceeded to dig holes on the other end of the yard.
I noticed them and interfered. They insisted that the fiber
had to go to the other end of the house near the electrical
service entrance, no options. They had no knowledge of our previous
discussions and didn't care. A stalemate ensued and they were packing
up to leave...nothing could be done.
Fortunately, we had the name and number of the "fixer". I insisted
they call...Two minutes later they were doing what we wanted.

Get the plan cleared with the local "fixer" and stand your ground.
The fixer also had additional incentives and rebates not available
elsewhere. That's probably why the phone order guy on commission
won't let you talk to him.

Had a similar situation with DSL. My speed sucked. Remote test showed
the line was good. They gave me the option to send someone out
to tell me the same thing for a fee.
Fortunately, I'd encountered the person responsible
for verizon for the city. She sent somebody down to the central
distribution center and he flipped a switch on the modem. Problem solved.

You GOTTA talk to someone local.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.binaries.schematics.electronics

Sasquatch Jones wrote:

[...]

I had the drop to my house damaged by a hurricane. It crossed the
driveway and they refused to put it back up the same way. They wanted to
run it along the fence line, then push it under the driveway where the
phone and power lines were in the way. I wanted it run to the garage,
where there were lines for TV and internet that ran on to the house.
They sent three different employees who said it wouldn't work, before
they sent a contractor who put it in the way I wanted. The whole job
took a little over 15 minutes, and he said that it was the easiest
install for the whole week. He also ran a larger coax, than the standard
RG-6.

They have a limit on the distance, due to the attenuation of the
cable. Their franchise only requires that they meet standard signal
levels up to that length. I had to sign a waver, because mine was too
long. I installed a 10 dB amp in the TV line where it loops through the
detached garage so they selected the right tap to provide the proper
levels for the cable modem.

BTW, I used to work in cable TV, and repaired the electronics.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.binaries.schematics.electronics

On 2014-12-28, Sasquatch Jones wrote:

I'm having internet & phone installed from the cable company. Does the
attached sketch look like a reasonable plan?

some points:
1) That's a barge board, not a fascia.
http://www.warrenpointwindowcleaning...attachment_443

2) Inside probably only if it's easier than using their tacking
gun to run it on the outside, the installers are often paid a flat
rate so the cheapest satisfactory solution wins, but a small side
payment could sway things your way. beer may be a suitable currency.

If the barge flashing can easily be lifted and the cable placed
behind that may be a go, but probably your roof is some matierial
I have never seen used for roofs before.

If you can _safely_ install a pull cord that goes where you want
that would also sway things in favour of your plan, ideally
100 pound breaking strength.

3) increased catenary length may be an issue.

I'm trying to keep the =
cable as short as possible and to keep from running cable thru the =
attic.

they probably don't want to go into your attic. the only thing worse
than attics is crawling around under floors. (your crop is safe .-) )

1. The last TV cable (removed 20 years ago) had been connected at the
same place as the telephone cable which now run through a tree.

they _will_ want to avoid the tree.

2. I noticed that the neighbor's cable was run on the outside of the =
fascia board. It looks bad and is exposed to the weather. Is it =
reasonable to ask that it be installed on the inside of the fascia?

it depends what they have to do to put it there.

--
umop apisdn