Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Default Punching "Nylon" Wall Plates

I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 9/18/2014 2:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

I think "tear" and/or deform are more likely.

Note that you can find wall plates for damn near any sort of
connector -- even things like DB25's!

OTOH, if you want it to be "pale chartreuse" you may be
SOL.

They're cheap (nylon ones). Try it and see (if your punches
are nice and sharp/clean). Just take it slow so the punch
can *ease* through the "plastic" instead of having to force it
aside.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Can you heat it up till it softens?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 9/18/2014 4:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

...Jim Thompson

Second resort, soldering iron, exacto and a round/square file.

Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 9/18/2014 5:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

It is hard to beat a sharp drill. I suppose you want a larger hole
than you have a drill for?

--

Rick
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:54:24 -0400, rickman wrote:

On 9/18/2014 5:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

It is hard to beat a sharp drill. I suppose you want a larger hole
than you have a drill for?

I have a nice hand reamer that can get me up to ~1/2", but I need 3/4"
this time. I may just have to hand file my way :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

...Jim Thompson

Most nylons are flexible and are very amenable to being drilled or
punched; slightly compressible.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 9/18/2014 7:59 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:54:24 -0400, rickman wrote:

On 9/18/2014 5:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

It is hard to beat a sharp drill. I suppose you want a larger hole
than you have a drill for?

I have a nice hand reamer that can get me up to ~1/2", but I need 3/4"
this time. I may just have to hand file my way :-(

I don't get it. 3/4 inch should be a flat bit. I've had one forever
and it's not like I have tons of tools. They are what, $2? They cut
pretty clean holes, especially when new and still sharp. They have a
blade on the edges that cut like a hole saw. If the plastic is not too
thick the bulk of the blade won't even be used. I'm not sure if it
would be best to cut from the nice side down or the ugly side up... I
suppose you could do a bit of both and meet in the middle to minimize
the chance of splitting out. Certainly use a backing block no matter what.

--

Rick
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 9/18/2014 9:45 PM, rickman wrote:
[...]

The problem with most drills will be one of heating. The nylon/plastic
wants to flow (or chip -- e.g., the pilot) instead of being cut cleanly.

I'd be tempted to try a brace with a 3/4 bit -- primarily because
of the GREATLY reduced (:) RPM's. If you're only doing one (or
a dozen), there's very little time to be saved with a faster drill
(esp if there is substantial rework/cleanup required).

I had to make some "recessed RJ45" wall plates (i.e., so I could
plug an umbilicus into the wall plate and hide the service loop
*in* that recess). I chose a Dremel *expecting* to remove a lot
of material (I married two different wall plates to get the
result I wanted).

But, it was a real problem keeping the material from "being
semi-liquid" (which would have been unsightly to clean up had my
operations been on the exposed side of the plate)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 19/09/14 14:45, rickman wrote:
On 9/18/2014 5:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

I don't get it. 3/4 inch should be a flat bit.

That won't work in thin plastic, especially if it's soft. Once it breaks
through at one point, it basically tears the rest apart.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 9/19/2014 1:02 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I think you are smoking dope with this one. I have drilled plastic
plenty of times with no problem from heating. Usually I get very nice
curlies coming up similar to drilling metal which *will* heat up.

I'd be tempted to try a brace with a 3/4 bit -- primarily because
of the GREATLY reduced (:) RPM's. If you're only doing one (or
a dozen), there's very little time to be saved with a faster drill
(esp if there is substantial rework/cleanup required).

You've never heard of a variable speed drill???

I had to make some "recessed RJ45" wall plates (i.e., so I could
plug an umbilicus into the wall plate and hide the service loop
*in* that recess). I chose a Dremel *expecting* to remove a lot
of material (I married two different wall plates to get the
result I wanted).

But, it was a real problem keeping the material from "being
semi-liquid" (which would have been unsightly to clean up had my
operations been on the exposed side of the plate)

A Dremel abrasive tool is not a drill bit. Of course that will heat up.

BTW, I bought the Dremel drill press in spite of the fact that it has
plastic parts. It is a piece of crap. When you pull the head down the
drill bit moves all over the place.

--

Rick
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 9/19/2014 1:58 AM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 19/09/14 14:45, rickman wrote:
On 9/18/2014 5:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

I don't get it. 3/4 inch should be a flat bit.

That won't work in thin plastic, especially if it's soft. Once it breaks
through at one point, it basically tears the rest apart.

That's called using finesse. That is why I suggested that it be drilled
from both sides. The flat part of the blade will never touch the
material. The edge blades will cut through the outer circle before that
happens. I've ended up with a small disk in my hand nearly every time
I've drilled through plywood with one of these.

Oh, and Nylon is seldom soft. It is a hard plastic and rather tough. I
guess that is why they can make fine stockings out of it.

--

Rick
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 19/09/14 17:21, rickman wrote:
On 9/19/2014 1:58 AM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 19/09/14 14:45, rickman wrote:
On 9/18/2014 5:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".
I don't get it. 3/4 inch should be a flat bit.

That won't work in thin plastic, especially if it's soft. Once it breaks
through at one point, it basically tears the rest apart.

That's called using finesse. That is why I suggested that it be drilled
from both sides. The flat part of the blade will never touch the
material. The edge blades will cut through the outer circle before that
happens. I've ended up with a small disk in my hand nearly every time
I've drilled through plywood with one of these.

Yes, you can get away with that sometimes. Not often on curved thin
sheets though, like the front of a wall plate often is.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

In sci.electronics.design Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

why not just try it? wall plates are like 50 cents to replace, who who
cares either way.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 19:01:13 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

In sci.electronics.design Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

why not just try it? wall plates are like 50 cents to replace, who who
cares either way.

That's what I already decided.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On 9/19/2014 7:41 AM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 19/09/14 17:21, rickman wrote:
On 9/19/2014 1:58 AM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 19/09/14 14:45, rickman wrote:
On 9/18/2014 5:51 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".
I don't get it. 3/4 inch should be a flat bit.

That won't work in thin plastic, especially if it's soft. Once it breaks
through at one point, it basically tears the rest apart.

That's called using finesse. That is why I suggested that it be drilled
from both sides. The flat part of the blade will never touch the
material. The edge blades will cut through the outer circle before that
happens. I've ended up with a small disk in my hand nearly every time
I've drilled through plywood with one of these.

Yes, you can get away with that sometimes. Not often on curved thin
sheets though, like the front of a wall plate often is.

I don't know what wall plates you have, but mine are not curved other
than right at the edges. Flat as a board. I'm tempted to dig one up
even if I have to pull it off a wall and give it a try. Not likely to
be nylon though. I'm not sure what they make the real cheapies out of,
but I don't think it is nylon as they are rather brittle and nylon isn't
brittle, at least in its early life.

--

Rick
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 22:22:07 -0400, rickman wrote:

[...]

The normal wall plate isn't nylon but nylon plates are sold as
"unbreakable".
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

In article , rickman
wrote:

[...]

This is probably melamine , which machines easily, somewhat like
bakelite.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 14:51:38 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I have some blank wall outlet cover plates, claiming to be "nylon".

Do you think I could punch a hole thru one of these with a chassis
punch, or is it likely to shatter?

...Jim Thompson

If you need a round hole - a wood boring bit with "tangs" on the
periphery so the outside is engaged as well as the center called "brad
point bits," or spade bits like Irwin "speed bore" style.

What I've found to be exceptional at cutting all plastics is the
"multi tool" which uses a small blade and reciprocal oscillations to
cut. (like those things doctors use to remove casts - but with real
cutting edges instead of a wavy edge)