Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Simplex 2400 JF

Looking for some assist.

This is a Simplex 2400, please see attached pictures.

Here is the problem. Upon inspection of the Master Clock today. There are
two area where there were at one time an electronic component that was
connect across two terminals. The components have "vaporized" due to a
heavy
surge or spike. The only thing left is the wire leads connected to the
terminals. The one device was across the AC input. (Hot and Neutral) The
other was in the upper left corner of the Motherboard.

I can only guess that they were either MOV's or Capacitors. The Master
Clock
seems to be working just fine. At this point in time there is no way to
determine when this happened but it really took a hit.

What I hoping for is that some one (Simplex Tech) would know what device
might have placed in these areas and maybe what values they might have
been.
Not an easy task to be guessing at.

Thanks,

Les

Attached Thumbnails
Simplex 2400 JF-simplex-2-jpg  Simplex 2400 JF-simplex-1-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 07:38:33 -0500, "ABLE1"
wrote:

[...]

---
Sorry, I thought I might be able to help, but I'd just be guessing.

Try sci.electronics.repair.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

I would be guessing as well. I may just leave the system as is since it
does seem to be working Ok.

Thanks for looking.

Les

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:29:38 -0500, "ABLE1"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You're welcome.

Since we're guessing, I'd be almost willing to bet that what blew up
on the yellow terminal block was an MOV. They often go
catastrophically, and the damage to the terminal block says that
something pretty violent happened there.

The other one is kind of interesting because of the smudges on the
wires and the horizontal band of clean between the smudges on the
wall. I have no clue what might have done that!

Are there any pieces left in the box?

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

[...]

Hey, here's something:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?3...0-master-clock

Sounds like they might be able to help you, good luck!

--
JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

---
You're welcome.

Since we're guessing, I'd be almost willing to bet that what blew up
on the yellow terminal block was an MOV. They often go
catastrophically, and the damage to the terminal block says that
something pretty violent happened there.

The other one is kind of interesting because of the smudges on the
wires and the horizontal band of clean between the smudges on the
wall. I have no clue what might have done that!

Are there any pieces left in the box?

--
JF

John,

In the bottom of the can is a small pile of charcoal and a small metal disk
that is smaller than a time. I assume that was the internal of a MOV.
Other than that, it appears that all has vaporized.

The orientation of the pictures seems to be rotated 90 degrees to the right.
I think the ?device? was mounted behind the wires and when it went poof'e
the wires got scorched as well as the back of the can.

Thanks for the link I will check it out.

Les