How change color TV to adjustable HVPS?

Old October 15th 12, 09:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default How change color TV to adjustable HVPS?

Attached is a truncated version of the manual as the 2Megs would not
transmit.
Also, are enlarged parts showing horizontal section; T703 output to
CRT is about 30KV.
Would be nice to have adjustment from around 10KV to full 30KV.

Thankx.

Attached Thumbnails
How change color TV to adjustable HVPS?-cu150rhoriz-jpg  How change color TV to adjustable HVPS?-cu150rhoriz2-jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CU150Rschem.PDF (409.3 KB, 85 views)
Old October 15th 12, 08:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
Attached is a truncated version of the manual as the 2Megs would not
transmit.
Also, are enlarged parts showing horizontal section; T703 output to
CRT is about 30KV.
Would be nice to have adjustment from around 10KV to full 30KV.

Thankx.

Do you actually need the full current that a CTV flyback stage can generate
24kV at?

Years ago I was messing around with the transformer from the PSU out of an
Amiga or somesuch - I'd turned the transformer around and driving one of the
original secondaries with a low VCEsat power transistor to get high voltage
from what had been the primary.

Apart from turning the transformer around, it was the same blocking
oscillator style self oscillating chopper as the original circuit - the
problem encountered the first time I powered up was a continuous arc between
the pins of the high voltage winding. It was neccessary to complete the
circuitry including the regulation loop for safe operation.

If you don't need a vast amount of current at EHT voltage, this basic
circuit driving a diode/capacitor ladder will do just fine.

Old October 15th 12, 09:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

I have no idea as to how much current these nominally supply to the CRT;
suppose it is maybe 1mA or so.
Current capability could decrease as voltage decreases but it would be
nice to have nearly the same current capability as far down as 20KV and
then decrease in current capability.

I see no sense in ripping out the xfmr, building another supply do run
another oscillator - why re-invent the wheel when it is there and nicely
round?

So,how could one vary the output voltage?

Pretty much the same as the original self oscillating chopper, control
transistor (2N2222 etc) clamps the chopper base on overvoltage. The control
circuit can be simple as you like or complex as you need - simple voltage
divider is probably best if you sample from the end of the ladder.

Old October 16th 12, 06:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 13:17:23 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

One thing to note is that the picture tube is part of the circuit. The
coatings on the inside and outside of the tube form the filter capacitor
for the high voltage. If you intend to remove this part of the PC board
from the TV and use it as a stand-alone power supply, you will have to
provide a replacement capacitor; probably around 500 pF @ 40 KV should do
it.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.
Old October 16th 12, 04:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

eb.com...

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

Good point. TV flyback HV supplies are designed for a certain operating
point, if adjustment of the voltage is needed, the current capability will
suffer. I'd like to see schemo's of Glassman HV supplies to see how they do
it. They are wonderful supplies, and even more wonderfully expensive!
Tom

Old October 16th 12, 06:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

Thank you for not reading the question and avoiding what i asked for.

Old October 16th 12, 06:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

hifi-tek wrote:
eb.com...

Ian Field wrote:

"Robert wrote in message
[...]

Seems all adjustable HV supplies are in the $100 and up (mostly up)
range; cannot afford that.
The TV was wonderfully inexpensive (about $2.75 with sales tax).

Anybody know the current capability and/or what the CRT anode draws
at nominal brightness (30KV)?

Old October 16th 12, 08:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ian Field wrote:

[...]

I chose to interpret the question as not being silly - the TV sweep section
is not designed for PWM (you might get away with burst mode thogh).

It seemed more sensible to assume you were asking how to regulate the
voltage on the PSU which was designed for PWM in the first place.

Old October 16th 12, 08:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
hifi-tek wrote:
eb.com...

Ian Field wrote:

"Robert wrote in message
[...]

Pick a CRT type No & download the datasheet.

metal color change [email protected] Metalworking 6 August 9th 07 10:40 PM
does cocobolo change color? Toller Woodworking 20 April 1st 07 11:45 PM
How Change I Change the Color of Metal Roof Flashing? Mike Home Repair 7 December 19th 05 01:30 AM
Steel color change - how come? Leo Lichtman Metalworking 28 September 2nd 05 11:24 PM
color change Jim Woodworking 5 August 1st 05 12:45 AM