Powered USB Hub

Old March 26th 12, 12:34 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Powered USB Hub

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:57:27 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

'Cept for really cheap crap, i haven't had any hub problems.

You may wish to get some USB 3 hubs, but they are never more than 4:1.

Not a lurker, i post.

?-)
Old March 26th 12, 04:24 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Belkin

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-High-Sp...2732270&sr=8-2
Old March 26th 12, 04:53 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

http://www.amazon.com/Bynovel-Monste...635& sr=1-156
Old March 28th 12, 11:14 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
JW

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:38:37 -0400 "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in Message id:
:

Michael Black wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Jim Thompson wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Get a PCI card that adds USB functionality.

I was all set to buy a hub when I came across a computer lying on the
sidewalk, and it had a USB board inside. No need for a hub after that,
but I do get more USB ports.

Let me know when you find some four port low profile USB boards
laying around, for salvage. I need two.

If you can't get 'em for free (and shipping is never really free), these
are pretty cheap and have five ports:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PORTS-USB-...em3f14d9 c3fb
Old March 28th 12, 01:15 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote in Message id:
:

Michael Black wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Jim Thompson wrote:

I need a powered USB Hub, 7 (or more) ports.

Lots of conflicting reviews out there.

What do you fellow lurkers recommend?

Get a PCI card that adds USB functionality.

I was all set to buy a hub when I came across a computer lying on the
sidewalk, and it had a USB board inside. No need for a hub after that,
but I do get more USB ports.

Let me know when you find some four port low profile USB boards
laying around, for salvage. I need two.

If you can't get 'em for free (and shipping is never really free), these
are pretty cheap and have five ports:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PORTS-USB-...em3f14d9 c3fb

That's not low profile. I bought two of these from another seller.
Three weeks later I got an e-mail stating that the entire shipment was
defective, and they refunded the money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300644995557#ht_1571wt_1187

This is interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200698468108 I've had computers with dead USB
ports because of bad drivers and no way to update, since they had no
PS/2 ports.

Old March 28th 12, 05:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
This is interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200698468108

Wow, that is.

I guess there's a lot of those "industrial" keyboards (either ruggedized
or with extra keys or whatever), barcode scanners, etc. that have PS/2
interfaces and aren't going away any time soon? So on new builds it
ends up being easier to stick in a card like that than to pick from the
small number of motherboards that still have PS/2 keyboard/mouse support?

I've seen plenty of PS/2 to USB converters for keyboards and mice, but
for industrial PCs I can see that a PCI card might be a bit more attractive.

Old March 29th 12, 12:32 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:09:41 -0700, Joel Koltner
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
This is interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200698468108

Wow, that is.

I guess there's a lot of those "industrial" keyboards (either ruggedized
or with extra keys or whatever), barcode scanners, etc. that have PS/2
interfaces and aren't going away any time soon? So on new builds it
ends up being easier to stick in a card like that than to pick from the
small number of motherboards that still have PS/2 keyboard/mouse support?

I've seen plenty of PS/2 to USB converters for keyboards and mice, but
for industrial PCs I can see that a PCI card might be a bit more attractive.

There are gender flippers both ways.

The difference with this card is that it goes under the PCI bus and
gets an interrupt assigned to it as in the legacy method and will almost
always underlying OS support, whereas a USB to PS2 device will not get an
interrupt and *has* to also have underlying OS support for an HID device.
Old March 30th 12, 11:43 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.basics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Joel Koltner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
This is interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200698468108

Wow, that is.

I guess there's a lot of those "industrial" keyboards (either ruggedized
or with extra keys or whatever), barcode scanners, etc. that have PS/2
interfaces and aren't going away any time soon? So on new builds it
ends up being easier to stick in a card like that than to pick from the
small number of motherboards that still have PS/2 keyboard/mouse support?

I've seen plenty of PS/2 to USB converters for keyboards and mice, but
for industrial PCs I can see that a PCI card might be a bit more attractive.

It might even be Jorge proof. ;-)