Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Scope probe performance

While I had the sweep generator available, I decided to check out some scope
probes.

Lately, one can find replacement scope probes on eBay for cheap. Probes rated
as 100 MHz probes can be had for around $10 each.

I tested several probes, connecting them to an Agilent 300 MHz scope and
capturing the frequency response, The responses shown are, or course, the
composite response of the probe itself and of the Agilent DSO5034. The Agilent
response is quite flat up to 300 MHz, so the response shown is essentially the
response of the probe, up to 300 MHz.

The probe tip and ground sheath was connected directly to the generator output
without the spring hook style tip or usual ground lead (except for one example
with ground lead).

The first is a 100 MHz rated probe purchased from smtzone in New Jersey. This
was the best of the low cost probes tested.

The second is a similar looking, Chinese-made probe from another supplier.

The third is the probe that came with the Rigol DS1204B oscilloscope tested in
an earlier post.

The fourth is the probe that came with a Tek TPS2024 oscilloscope.

The fifth is an Agilent 10073C 500 MHz rated probe.

The sixth is the smtzone probe (probe1), used with a spring hook tip and ground
lead.

The smtzone probe has much better frequency response than its 100 MHz rating
would suggest. It also has a measured rise time of just a little over 1 nS.
For $10 it is an incredible bargain.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 30 Jan 2010 14:39:02 -0600, The Phantom wrote:

[...]

Interesting, it seems like local ground leads are not always advantageous.