Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Does such a device exust?

Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio
to my home sound system?

(I don't want to tie up my PC audio.)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:
Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio
to my home sound system?

(I don't want to tie up my PC audio.)

...Jim Thompson

ROKU Soundbridge M1000

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo ;-P
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio
to my home sound system?

Check out this:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squee.../dp/B0013IWYHU

It ouputs 2-channel audio over regular analog RCA jacks or digital audio
(optically and over coax). It uses a PC as a "server" from which it can pull
audio files directly (your ripped CDs or downloaded music), or it can stream
audio from various Internet "radio stations" (some free, some not). The PC
acting as a server is controled through a web page interface, accessible from
any machine in the house. The little handheld "remote" is actually a complete
mini-computer that just accesses the server using a regular WiFi access
point -- it can be used to control the "black box" receiver (or multiple
receivers, if you have them)... or used as a complete "Walkman"-style
standalone receiver on its own (it had a headset jack on it)! You can get
just the receiver itself (~$150) if you aren't interested in the remote
(web-based control only in that case), and you can also get "boombox"-style
receivers if you don't want use your existing home stereo.

The overall package works quite well -- the quality of the software is
definitely several notches above average these days; Logitech just licenses
the product from some guys who really do seem to be the "old school" hacker
types in that they're cranking out quite reliable software that has more
features that you'd imagine (or probably ever use :-) ). Setting it up
initially is not the easiest thing in the world -- and unfortunately the
included documentation is a bit sparse -- but it's not too bad either and
there's lots of help available if needed.

Try typing "internet radio" into Amazon and check out the results (most don't
have web interfaces, though).

Do you already have a home "server" PC? If so a Squeezebox is a natural
additon... if not, well, it's not quite so clear-cut...

---Joel

P.S. -- A Squeezebox will pass the WAF test once you get it up and running.
If your wife can use an iPod, she'll have no problem with a Squeezebox.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:33:39 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

It looks like I can just plug it into my network??

If so, that's perfect for me, because all I want is web radio.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
It looks like I can just plug it into my network??

Yes (the receiver has an Ethernet port on the back, if you get the version
with te remote control, the remote uses WiFi). But you still need a PC around
to install the server software to provide the web interface -- the little
receiver box contains the DACs, some hardware MP3, etc., but only enough
intelligence to stream audio from the server PC (i.e., not enough ot provide a
web interface itself or pull audio straight off the web).

I've never used one, but those Roku boxes someone else mentioned always had
good reviews as well -- I almost purchased one last year. For what you're
after, it might be better in that it doesn't require a server PC.

---Joel

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Joel Koltner wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio
to my home sound system?

Check out this:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squee.../dp/B0013IWYHU

IIRC, there was a streaming audio receiver project in a recent Circuit
Cellar issue. The UI was rather crude, involving passing a URL to the
receiver via a USB port. But once configured, the device would work
stand-alone on a broadband connection.

Not nearly as fancy as the Logitec unit, but a good project for a h/w-s/w
hacker.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:33:39 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I have Noxon, two RCAs at the back and wlan (I think also wired network connector).
Works well.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"RFI-EMI-GUY" wrote in message
g.com...
Jim Thompson wrote:
Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed
audio
to my home sound system?

(I don't want to tie up my PC audio.)

...Jim Thompson

ROKU Soundbridge M1000

This is nice, thanks

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Does such a device exust? - JERK.png

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:31:51 -0800, Bart!
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:03:55 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio
to my home sound system?

(I don't want to tie up my PC audio.)

...Jim Thompson

Yes, dope. There are 100,000 channels available.

It's called Microsoft Media Player.

Choose Media Guide. Then Internet Radio. Then
Search for your desired station OR just find what you like to hear.

RadioIO has 60 channels. '60s '70s '80s Jazz Classical, etc.

If the JERK could just even learn to read, he (I use that term
loosely) would note I didn't want to use my PC.

I already listen via my cheapy PC speakers. I want better quality AND
not get in the way of other audio needs.

Fired up NewsProxy again, See attachment, (Bye Bart!)...

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Attached Thumbnails
Does such a device exust?-jerk-png

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2009-02-18, DarkMatter wrote:

If the JERK could just even learn to read, he (I use that term
loosely) would note I didn't want to use my PC.

You said INTERNET, dumb****. That REQUIRES a processor, a browser, etc.

he said "web" he apparently meant "internet", but he said "web"

I have a PSP which has an Internet radio function. I could easily feed
my home audio system with it as a front end. There are several MP3
players out there that will feed an audio system as well. SINCE you want
INTERNET radio, you have to PAY more bucks for a stand alone device than
a retarded twit **** like you would ever want to flip for.

I don't thin he's short of cash.

Also, dumb****, sound through your PC to your stereo can be set up such
that it does not interfere with your normal PC sound operations. That
statement was way over your fat head though. Especially since it is all
skull bone.

yeah but that requires a second sound device and running cables etc...

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:02:48 -0800, DarkMatter
wrote:

wrote:

Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio
to my home sound system?

(I don't want to tie up my PC audio.)

...Jim Thompson

Yes, dope. There are 100,000 channels available.

It's called Microsoft Media Player.

Choose Media Guide. Then Internet Radio. Then
Search for your desired station OR just find what you like to hear.

RadioIO has 60 channels. '60s '70s '80s Jazz Classical, etc.

If the JERK could just even learn to read, he (I use that term
loosely) would note I didn't want to use my PC.

You said INTERNET, dumb****. That REQUIRES a processor, a browser, etc.

Internet radio doesn't require a PC.

For example:

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView...aign=FroogleUK

No PC required.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2009-02-18, DarkMatter wrote:

[...]

I want to WiFi Fox News Radio across the room to my "real" music
system.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I want to WiFi Fox News Radio across the room to my "real" music
system.

Roku is sounding better and better to me for your purposes, Jim.

As someone else suggested, if you enter "internet radio" into Amazon you'll
get some other good ideas. These days many of those units come with their own
speakers/amps, although you could always just take the headphone output and
pipe it over to your big stereo.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:06:16 -0800, Bart!
wrote:

...Jim Thompson

This total retard uses ALL his windows in full screen mode.

Yep, I open Agent full-screen, so I can read at arm's length.

Might as well use DOS, dumb****tard.

That's OK. We all know already that you are incapable of
multi-tasking... from ANY perspective, including PC operations.

Of course I can. I run multiple PC's, dual 19" ViewSonic monitors, on
a KVM, so as to not slow down lengthy PSpice simulations.

AlwaysWrong is actually AlwaysTurdOutTheNose

[This is a bait post, to collect AlwaysTurdOutTheNose's next IP jump
:-]

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Does such a device exist?

wrote:

Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio
to my home sound system?

(I don't want to tie up my PC audio.)

...Jim Thompson

Another "solution", which I suspect can't be made to work...

Two sources of audio, can one be directed to speakers and the other to
line-out?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
cth cth is offline

Jim Thompson wrote:
Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio
to my home sound system?

(I don't want to tie up my PC audio.)

...Jim Thompson

Yet another DIY option:

http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk...).398061.lynkx

Don't know how the price compares to commercial offerings, though...

Regards,
Chris.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:19:42 GMT, cth wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
Does there exist a web-based radio tuner from which I could feed audio
to my home sound system?

(I don't want to tie up my PC audio.)

...Jim Thompson

Yet another DIY option:

http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk...).398061.lynkx

Don't know how the price compares to commercial offerings, though...

Regards,
Chris.

That's roughly US$185, pretty much equivalent to a finished unit by
Roku.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

Another "solution", which I suspect can't be made to work...

Two sources of audio, can one be directed to speakers and the other to
line-out?

It could work very well. If by "two sources" you mean two sound cards.
The app, e.g., Windows Media Player, allows you to choose the "Device"
to use. So you could have WMP doing internet radio on one card & other
PC sound going to the default. Really cheap option.

Bob
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:20:21 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Another "solution", which I suspect can't be made to work...

Two sources of audio, can one be directed to speakers and the other to
line-out?

It could work very well. If by "two sources" you mean two sound cards.
The app, e.g., Windows Media Player, allows you to choose the "Device"
to use. So you could have WMP doing internet radio on one card & other
PC sound going to the default. Really cheap option.

Bob

Can a browser, choosing a website with streaming audio, such as Fox
News ;-) direct that signal to a line output, and not to the normal
speaker outputs?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:58:04 -0800, Bungalow Bill
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:57:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

I want to WiFi Fox News Radio across the room to my "real" music
system.

"Fox News Radio"

Bwuahahahahaha! ****, buy one of those little FM radio band
transmitters and repeat it yourself!

Hi TURD,

I see you're right on schedule getting home from your janitorial
position.

Why don't you disconnect for a while, or request a new IP, so I can
enter all your available possibilities, change from TAG to DELETE, and
forever be free of the TURD snorter ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Democrats are like cats...
They'll take a dump behind your couch and then feign ignorance
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
cth cth is offline

wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Another "solution", which I suspect can't be made to work...

Two sources of audio, can one be directed to speakers and the other to
line-out?

It could work very well. If by "two sources" you mean two sound cards.
The app, e.g., Windows Media Player, allows you to choose the "Device"
to use. So you could have WMP doing internet radio on one card & other
PC sound going to the default. Really cheap option.

Bob

Can a browser, choosing a website with streaming audio, such as Fox
News ;-) direct that signal to a line output, and not to the normal
speaker outputs?

...Jim Thompson

IME for all basic sound cards I've owned, the line out is just part of
the (single stereo) output signal chain viz:

Line Level Audio - Power Amp - Speaker Level Audio
| |
Line out Socket Speaker out Socket

Conceivably with the 5.1 and better (surround sound) audio cards it may
be possible to route several audio sources to various output sockets,
however my knowledge runs out here...

Regards,
Chris.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:21:40 -0800, Bungalow Bill
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:05:47 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Why don't you disconnect for a while, or request a new IP, so I can
enter all your available possibilities, change from TAG to DELETE, and
forever be free of the TURD snorter ;-)

What? You think I have more than one account or hooks? No. I can GET A
NEW IP EVERY DAY if I wish to, and you will NEVER gather a full list,
dingledorf.

Of course I will, and you know it. Sucker! I suckered you ;-)

There is no limited set I "pull" from. You idea of what I do to get one
is INCORRECT. I get directly assigned BY COX, every time.

Sorry, El Chumpo. You can flex your wee wittle bwain all you want, but
you will always be wrong about what you think happens here.

Poor little *******o. Time to send my Italian friends. Sucker ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

Poor little *******o. Time to send my Italian friends. Sucker ;-)

What would you like done Godfather?

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message

Said the retards that get their Parmesan from a shaker can.

Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in cans. The canned product is always
called by the French name.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2009-02-19, Jim Thompson wrote:

Can a browser, choosing a website with streaming audio, such as Fox
News ;-) direct that signal to a line output, and not to the normal
speaker outputs?

typically, no, the browser doesn't even play the streaming audio.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2009-02-19, Jim Thompson wrote:

Can a browser, choosing a website with streaming audio, such as Fox
News ;-) direct that signal to a line output, and not to the normal
speaker outputs?

typically, no, the browser doesn't even play the streaming audio.

So it's actually routed thru the media player?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 00:14:15 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

Poor little *******o. Time to send my Italian friends. Sucker ;-)

What would you like done Godfather?

Just "make him an offer he can't refuse" ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 02:01:08 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message

Said the retards that get their Parmesan from a shaker can.

Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in cans. The canned product is always
called by the French name.

Dried urine ?:-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message

Said the retards that get their Parmesan from a shaker can.

Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in cans. The canned product is
always called by the French name.

Which is what I said you dopes use. I use the real product. That
was the point.

It really isn't much of a point. Are you in high school yet?

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message

Said the retards that get their Parmesan from a shaker can.

Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in cans. The canned product is
always called by the French name.

Which is what I said you dopes use. I use the real product. That
was the point.

It really isn't much of a point. Are you in high school yet?

You might be right. AlwaysWrong's posting times the past few days
(San Diego time):

Morning range... 4:56AM - 5:54AM

Evening range... 5:31PM - 7:42PM

His mommy (and I use that term loosely) seems to be restricting his
Internet access time ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 00:14:15 -0500, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message

Poor little *******o. Time to send my Italian friends. Sucker ;-)

What would you like done Godfather?

Just "make him an offer he can't refuse" ;-)

As opposed to the usual offers he doesn't understand?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On 2009-02-19, Jim Thompson wrote:

Can a browser, choosing a website with streaming audio, such as Fox
News ;-) direct that signal to a line output, and not to the normal
speaker outputs?

typically, no, the browser doesn't even play the streaming audio.

So it's actually routed thru the media player?

yeah, the browser invokes some sort of media player as a "plug in"
(ehich basically means the browser bosses the media player round but
the media player is retreiving the stream and playing it,

....Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:42:39 -0800, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
I want to WiFi Fox News Radio across the room to my "real" music
system.

Roku is sounding better and better to me for your purposes, Jim.

[snip]

Looks good. However everyone with a good price, = US$150, is
out-of-stock :-(

The Soundbridge M1001 looks like the right model if you already have a
sound system.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse
and you'll have a tasty lunch.