Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Who Killed the Electric Car? (from sed)

Attached Thumbnails
Re: Who Killed the Electric Car? (from sed)-floz-001-jpg  Re: Who Killed the Electric Car? (from sed)-floz-002-jpg  Re: Who Killed the Electric Car? (from sed)-floz-003-jpg  Re: Who Killed the Electric Car? (from sed)-floz-004-jpg  Re: Who Killed the Electric Car? (from sed)-floz-005-jpg

Re: Who Killed the Electric Car? (from sed)-floz-006-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields wrote:

[Image]

At least you can rely on the ml measurements.

But why do Americans capitalise litres ? It should be lower case. To
distinguish liter from litre maybe ?

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Eeyore" wrote in message
But why do Americans capitalise litres ? It should be lower case. To
distinguish liter from litre maybe ?

I always draw it lowercase (either a straight line or a looping "l" to
distinguish it better), which always feels odd as, for instance, every
other chemist seems to use "L".

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Tim Williams wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

But why do Americans capitalise litres ? It should be lower case. To
distinguish liter from litre maybe ?

I always draw it lowercase (either a straight line or a looping "l" to
distinguish it better), which always feels odd as, for instance, every
other chemist seems to use "L".

The ISO says lower case l. But I agree that in some type faces that may be
difficult to distinguish form '1'. Maybe we need a 'units type face' ?

Geaham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Archimedes' Lever wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Fields wrote:

[Image]

At least you can rely on the ml measurements.

But why do Americans capitalise litres ? It should be lower case. To
distinguish liter from litre maybe ?

Graham

We in the engineering and chemical industries do not. Apparently, the
food industry does strange things. Kind of like the way Bush pronounces
the word "nuclear" in the "nucular" "style".

Note how one Italian oil maker does not, and the other does capitalize
it.

I presumed that was for the benefit of the US market. I strongly suspect EU
labelling requirements would not allow a capital L for litres within the EU.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
This is one reason why in hand drafting, nearly everything is all caps.

I did a little poking around and found that one significant reason caps were
historically used in drafting (and, by extension, electrical schematics) was
due to their greater legibility at a small size... or when a print was reduced
for, e.g., field work.

These days that reason is no longer significant (some guy out in the field is
going to have a .PDF file on a laptop!) and I think there's good cause for
using mixed case everywhere given that it's generally considered more
readable... it's especially ridiculous to see someone using ALL CAPS on a
schematic in a serif font -- if you expect the serifs will continue to be
legible on a print, certainly mixed case will be as well!

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Joel Koltner" wrote in message
"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
This is one reason why in hand drafting, nearly everything is all caps.

I did a little poking around and found that one significant reason caps

were
historically used in drafting (and, by extension, electrical schematics)

was
due to their greater legibility at a small size... or when a print was
reduced for, e.g., field work.

Hmm, I almost always draft in mixed case (I recall I used to write in caps,
in fact I happen to have some old schematics hanging within eyeshot proving
this). My writing is legible so I'm not worried about readability. Come
to think of it, the change probably came when I realized I could write a
little faster by dragging some of the curly lowercase letters together in a
modest script (without being illegible like cursive ;-) ).

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk.