Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default tiny kluge board

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

John

Attached Thumbnails
tiny kluge board-break2-jpg  tiny kluge board-onboard-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 23:57:46 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:04:29 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

John

Ugly soldering.

Sold over $2.5 million of them, and field reliability has been
excellent. These boards fire the world's biggest laser.

What do you do? Show us.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Meat Plow wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

Ugly soldering.

There's MORE solder on it than I've seen in some contemporary consumer kit. I'd
hardly call it ugly though.

Is a kluge pronounced 'kloog' or 'kludge' btw ?

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 07:34:29 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

Ugly soldering.

There's MORE solder on it than I've seen in some contemporary consumer kit. I'd
hardly call it ugly though.

Is a kluge pronounced 'kloog' or 'kludge' btw ?

---
'Klooj', with the double o's pronounced as they are in
'tool'.

--
JF
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

Ugly soldering.

There's MORE solder on it than I've seen in some contemporary consumer kit. I'd
hardly call it ugly though.

Is a kluge pronounced 'kloog' or 'kludge' btw ?

---
'Klooj', with the double o's pronounced as they are in
'tool'.

Thank you. UK practice is 'kludge' both written and spoken.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:04:29 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

And play checkers "on the side"? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:07:58 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 23:57:46 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:04:29 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

Ugly soldering.

Sold over $2.5 million of them, and field reliability has been excellent.
These boards fire the world's biggest laser.

What do you do? Show us.

THEL? Or Inertial Confinement fusion?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Meat Plow wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

Ugly soldering.

There's MORE solder on it than I've seen in some contemporary consumer
kit. I'd hardly call it ugly though.

Is a kluge pronounced 'kloog' or 'kludge' btw ?

The correct pronunciation is 'clooge' which rhymes with 'stooge'.
'Kludge' rhymes with 'sludge'.

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:36:31 +0100, Eeyore wrote:
John Fields wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

Ugly soldering.

There's MORE solder on it than I've seen in some contemporary consumer
kit. I'd hardly call it ugly though.

Is a kluge pronounced 'kloog' or 'kludge' btw ?

'Klooj', with the double o's pronounced as they are in 'tool'.

Thank you. UK practice is 'kludge' both written and spoken.

Yeah, but in the UK, they misspell '****', which rhymes with 'bit',
as '****e', and apparently, it rhymes with 'white'.

Those Brits just don't know how to speak proper English. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 20:39:46 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:04:29 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

And play checkers "on the side"? ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

The board house did that, don't know why. Maybe they liked the look.

We just gave them the Gerber for one tiny board, and told them what we
wanted to do. Routing halfway through the PTHs is apparently a common
thing to do. It worked fine.

John

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Fields wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

Ugly soldering.

There's MORE solder on it than I've seen in some contemporary consumer
kit. I'd hardly call it ugly though.

Is a kluge pronounced 'kloog' or 'kludge' btw ?

'Klooj', with the double o's pronounced as they are in 'tool'.

Thank you. UK practice is 'kludge' both written and spoken.

Yeah, but in the UK, they misspell '****', which rhymes with 'bit',
as '****e', and apparently, it rhymes with 'white'.

Those Brits just don't know how to speak proper English. ;-)

Strictly speaking, '****e' is used only for emphasis in derogatory coments such
as 'that's a real piece of ****e'.

Graham

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

John Larkin wrote:
This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

The 9691 is non-stock in all versions at Digikey. Are you still not
tired of this mfg?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

In article ,
Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

The 9691 is non-stock in all versions at Digikey. Are you still not
tired of this mfg?

298 in-stock at Newark - MAX9691ESA+

Still think Digi-Key is the only distributor in the country? If you
haven't looked at Digi-Key AND Newark AND Mouser, you haven't even begun
to shop.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:35:30 GMT, Ecnerwal
wrote:

In article ,
Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

The 9691 is non-stock in all versions at Digikey. Are you still not
tired of this mfg?

298 in-stock at Newark - MAX9691ESA+

Still think Digi-Key is the only distributor in the country? If you
haven't looked at Digi-Key AND Newark AND Mouser, you haven't even begun
to shop.

---
Also Allied, Arrow, and Future.

--
JF

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Joerg wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

The 9691 is non-stock in all versions at Digikey. Are you still not
tired of this mfg?

298 in-stock at Newark - MAX9691ESA+

Still think Digi-Key is the only distributor in the country? If you
haven't looked at Digi-Key AND Newark AND Mouser, you haven't even begun
to shop.

Sure. However, IME a non-stock situation for all versions of a part at
Digikey is a warning sign. At least for me. OTOH this has also brought
me consulting work (design out) when people ignored such flags. Mostly
they were able to scrape together a few hundred but later it really hit
the fan, or in production speak a line stop situation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:10:37 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
This allowed us to replace a discontinued SO-8 part.

The 9691 is non-stock in all versions at Digikey. Are you still not
tired of this mfg?

The original design used a MAX9690, an SO-8 1 ns ECL comparator, and
there were two other sources, for slightly slower parts. The 9690 had
a bad fab problem and began failing after about a year of use. By that
time, the other sources were gone.

Maxim replaced it with the "drop-in" 9691, except that they added
back-to-back diodes across the inputs... on a COMPARATOR! So we had to
do the kluge board, with added diodes and stuff. As I mentioned, they
did sample us 3200 pieces of the 9691.

Analog Devices makes the best comparators lately, down in the 200 ps
sort of range. But none of this sort of stuff is multi-sourced.

John