John Rumm

Default whole house DIY-ish air con ?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

When I looked at these systems for an office, admittedly some 8
years ago, the multiple evaporator systems could only have a single
thermostat. That made them fine for very large rooms, but not for
multiple rooms. Things maybe different with them nowadays.

The ones I saw would let you have different stat temps for each air
handler. The only thing you could not run, was a combination of air con
and heat pump at the same time.

I don't know where the crossover point is, but multiple internal
units are more commonly done with fan coil units running from
chilled and heated water circuits. A single outdoor chiller is used
to create the chilled water to drive them (and sometimes the heated
water too, particularly for buildings which need some parts cooling
and other parts heating at the same time).

I found quite a few split units that worked with conventional
refrigerant circulation (and water outlet) that went up to 4 way with a
single condensor. More than four and there were also some cascaded
condensor arrangements.

--
Cheers,

John.