All Thumbs

Default Popped-out nails in ceiling -- how to repair?

By mistake I stepped on the attic floor while working in the attic. Now
several nails have popped out from the ceiling drywall. Could somebody
tell me what's the right way to repair it?

I thought about hammering them back in and spackling over them, but I'm
not sure if new/extra nails are neeeded. Does anyone know if ceiling
drywalls are normally screwed directly to the joists or if there are
woodboards between them? (I guess I could get into the attic again to
find out but it's pain to get in there.)

Thanks!