Rick Dipper

Default Routing house sign

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:39:39 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Colin wrote:

Has anyone had any success making a house name sign using a router?
I have 'reclaimed' some oak kitchen doors from a skip and rather fancy
trying to make a sign.

Is there a technique? Do I need to make some type of jig to get nice looking
letters, or do I need to be super careful?

I've routed letters into slate without a jig, but it takes a long time.
Cut a tiny bit at a time. Once you are a few mm down, you can start
cutting a bit deeper with each pass.

I think a jig would make things a lot easier, but I doubt it'd be worth
making one for a one-off project.

Sir

What type of bit did you use for this, and what type of slate ?
I assume I am not going to be able to copy you using a wood bit, and
some rough slate ?

Thanks
Rick