Ian Stirling

Default Routing house sign

Grunff wrote:
Colin wrote:

Has anyone had any success making a house name sign using a router?
I have 'reclaimed' some oak kitchen doors from a skip and rather fancy
trying to make a sign.

Is there a technique? Do I need to make some type of jig to get nice looking
letters, or do I need to be super careful?

I've routed letters into slate without a jig, but it takes a long time.
Cut a tiny bit at a time. Once you are a few mm down, you can start
cutting a bit deeper with each pass.

I think a jig would make things a lot easier, but I doubt it'd be worth
making one for a one-off project.

It can be relatively easy.
Take a 8mm bit of MDF, or something.
Now, in a graphics package that supports outlines, add a really large
outline onto the font you've picked, that's the same diameter as the
router cutter bearing. (bearing guided cutter)
Print out, glue on, and cut away the MDF in the right places.
Then simply zip round the edges with the guided cutter.