Lobster

I've since found that there are at least 2 trade cards that I can apply
for over the internet that allow me in some case to use anyone of 3000
merchants.

Could you post the links?

We'll I'm off to the bank to open a bussiness account..

Do you actually need the business account, or do you just want it as a
vehicle to access trade accounts with suppliers? Because running a
business account can be very expensive, and TBH the lack of one has
never been an issue for me in getting trade discounts.

The other point is that getting decent prices is NOT just about getting
a trade account. You may find yourself getting only a trivial discount
compared with other (ie big) trade customers; you can often pay cash and
get trade prices. And there are a lot of people in the building trade
who do just that, regularly.

Having a trade account also lets the company monitor your spend
precisely, so if it's not whopping, it's likely to be hard for you to
justify having them increase your discount rate; easier to blag it if
you come in paying cash!

David