Chris Lewis

According to :
On 3 Oct 2005 07:59:43 -0700, wrote:

I've had this happen several times now. Whenever we have a lightning
strike that's relatively close (as judged by the time between the flash
and the bang), our GFCI outlet will trip.

The circuit itself is indoor only. There are three outlets connected
to it. Two of them are idle, and the third has a chest freezer and a
dehumidifier plugged into it. The last outlet is only a couple feet
away from our sump pump (which is on its own circuit).

W_Tom will probably be along and point you to polyphaser but I would
suggest a panel protector of some sort and verifying your ground
electrode system as John suggested. Be sure it also bonds the phone
and TV cable Dmarks.

I suspect that a panel GFCI or arrestor would probably not make a great
deal of difference - sounds more to me like a grounding problem. John's
suggestion of thoroughly checking the grounding system out and/or replacing
the GFCI with a new one is more likely to bear fruit.

I'll note in passing that electrical codes don't require GFCI's on freezers,
but that assumes it's on a dedicated single outlet circuit.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est