HerHusband

I am building a detached garage and want the appearance of 6" fascia
board. Will be using vented vinyl soffit that is about 1/2" (maybe
more) in height. To take advantage of the 6" aluminum fascia cover,
should I use 2x4 fascia so that the J of the aluminum fascia cover can
accomodate the vinyle soffit? If I used 2x6 it seems the aluminum
might not completely cover it and allow for the vinyl soffit. I am
worried about the aluminum not having enough surface area support,
although I guess that would only be an inch or so of unsupport.

I used 2x6 rafters when I built our garage. This meant the rake board on
the gable end was also a 2x6. When the rake board was plumb cut on the
end where it met the fascia board, the diagonal cut is obviously taller
than the 2x6.

So, I used a 2x8 fascia, and ripped the top edge at a bevel to match the
roof slope. The height of the fascia matches the height of the plumb cut
on the end of the rake board. This way the rake and fascia meet nicely at
the corner of the roof.

If this doesn't matter to you, I would rip the 2x6 down to whatever size
you need to support the 6" aluminum fascia cover.

Anthony