William Brown

Ludger Wolf wrote:

On 16 Sep 2005 11:20:48 -0700, wrote:

wrote:

diff. widths of rope. stain them to try and match the color of the
floor and wedge the rope in the gaps. I have seen this done and it
looks fine. I have seen the filler method used and it looked terrible
and almost always cracks due to the natural expansion / contraction of
the wood floor.

That's a great idea. Rope caulking like that used on boats.

As noted the boards will expand and contract accross their width
with changes in humidity so a rigid gap filler will not work.

Normally floor boards are tongue and groove or (maybe)shiplapped
so that as they expand and contract the gap does not go all the
way through.

The floor board in our cabin have tongoue and goove too, but still the
gaps are there and tend to collect dirt.
I might try the idea with the rope. Any idea about what kind of
material for the ropes?
I probably need to finish the floors before wedging in the ropes,
because otherwise the floor finish want really work with the flexible
ropes?

Thanks for that idea

Ludger

Oakum is the stuff used for sealing wooden hulls, and I think it was
also used in plumbing. Its not really rope, just something like hemp
soaked in creosote.