Ludger Wolf wrote:
Hi,

We own a cabin with a pine or fir floor ...

What concerns me about the whole thing is that the boards have shrunk
over the years and now there is a gap of around an 1/16" to at some
areas 1/4" between almost all the boards. The size of the gap is
irrigular.

diff. widths of rope. stain them to try and match the color of the
floor and wedge the rope in the gaps. I have seen this done and it
looks fine. I have seen the filler method used and it looked terrible
and almost always cracks due to the natural expansion / contraction of
the wood floor.

That's a great idea. Rope caulking like that used on boats.

As noted the boards will expand and contract accross their width
with changes in humidity so a rigid gap filler will not work.

Normally floor boards are tongue and groove or (maybe)shiplapped
so that as they expand and contract the gap does not go all the
way through.

--

FF