Set Square

Stuart Noble wrote:

Set Square wrote:

If at all possible, keep the bottom foot of so of the old newel post
which is firmly attached to the staircase. Cut it off at the
appropriate level, bevel the top, and fit a new upper section.

Not easy to get a square cut at this angle. It's worth clamping a
section of 4 x 2 to the base as a saw guide.

I cut through 2 sides of mine with a circular saw, using a clamped-on piece
of wood as a guide for each cut - and then finished off with a hand saw.
This gave a nice square cut. Then I put a suitably sized polish tin against
each vertical face and drew round it to get a nice rounded top shape - which
I achieved with a hand plane. You can see the general effect in this rather
grainy photo.
http://www.hampton-magna.freeserve.co.uk/after.JPG
If anyone is interested, I could take a close-up of the relevant bit of the
newel post.
--
Cheers,
Set Square