Fred

wrote in message
ups.com...
My Stihl 021 chain saw has always been hard to start when it's cold.
Now it doesn't start at all, but it will kick if I shoot starting fluid
into the carburetor. The local repair shop didn't even look at it.
Just said the carburetor's gummed up and they'll be happy to replace it
for $175. Astronomical, in my opinion. I suspect that this is a
reasonably simple engine to repair and am willing to attempt to correct
the problem myself. I'm guessing that the job will require checking
and cleaning out the fuel system, but beyond that I need some
suggestions. Please let me know what ideas you may have that will help
me get this done. Thanks.

I had the same problem but hard to start when it's hot instead. Turns out
the little hole in gas cap was plugged and was fixed with compressed air. I
had some good responses in the rec.woodworking, misc.rural and
misc.survivalism groups as you may try to ask them as well.

You should either remove the gas (or let it run till it dies) or use gas
preservative before you put the saw is in storage to prevent future carb
from gumming up.