Toller

Default A refrigerator on a modified sine wave inverter?

Harbor Freight has an 800w inverter on sale for $45. It claims to have
surge capacity of 1800w.
My refrigerator draws 13 amps for a second when starting, and then less than
2 amps.
So, will the inverter be able to start my refrigerator?
Is it safe to run a refrigerator on modified sine wave? When they installed
my furnace last year they told me the msw inverters will fry the furnace,
but refrigerators seem less demanding.

I don't plan on using it, but for $45, back up to my generator would be
nice; but not if it will trash a $1,000 refrigerator.

And since I am on the subject, what would happen if I tried to start it with
inadequate current? Would it burn out, or is there a safety feature? I
tried to get an answer from the manufacturer, but they wouldn't tell me.