Artemia Salina

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:14:27 +0000, Pete wrote:

This machine also has .30 backlash on the X axis. Any tricks to repair or
improve this?

I guess this miller is a Bridgeport clone, and so I'm not familiar with
any anti-backlash adjustments it may have because I've never owned one,
but some other milling machines have adjustable feed screw nuts. The
setup is a pair of bronze nuts that are threaded on their OD as well
as their ID. They screw into either end of a collar which is anchored
to the saddle casting (in the case of the X-axis). With the feed screw
running through both nuts, backlash is adjusted out by unscrewing one
or both of the nuts in the collar by a small amount. This has the effect
of changing the overall thread pitch of the nut/collar assembly which
reduces backlash. Its very similar to the way jam nuts work, except that
you have more control over their separation from each other.

Anyway, I'd crawl under the thing and inspect the feed nut assembly for
some type of adjustment like described above.

As for the gouge in the table, I *think* Moglice (http://www.moglice.com/)
comes in a formulation that is suitable for such repairs. Moglice is
a castable liquid way liner material. Essentially like Paul's suggestion
of using JB Weld but more purpose-made for the job.