Gunner

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 16:14:27 GMT, "Pete"
wrote:

I have an opportunity to purchase a milling machine that is within my budget
and will possibly with a little sweat equity be a decent machine for my "out
of control" hobby shop.The machine has Meehanite castings, DRO and X axis
power feed as well as a one shot lub system

How would one go about repairing a three inch diameter cutter mark that is
in the center of a 9X42 offshore mill table that is .050 deep.

Why bother?

This machine also has .30 backlash on the X axis. Any tricks to repair or
improve this?

Adjust the split nuts, or replace them. If it has a dro, simply use
it. This is common on a machine that has been used a lot. No climb
milling until its fixed..but you can still do good work with it. It
also depends on what brand of machine/model it is.

Are there any sites that have any details on hand scraping some of the
original hand scraping marks are worn off so it likely has some wear?

Either it has too much wear, so dont buy it, or it has some wear, in
which case you adjust the gibs and use it. Shrug. Scraping is a PITA
for most folks and has a huge learning curve. Ask youself, are you
buying the machine to use, or to learn the scraping process on? You
can have both, depending on how much time you want between them. Ive
seen (and own) far too many machines that were taken apart to scrape,
or fix or paint...and start collecting dust and finally wind up being
scrapped or given away.

I have not purchased this machine yet , but might consider it if these
flaws can be corrected.

Thanks
Pete

You want a mint condition 62 Caddy, or do you want a car that will get
you where you want to go reliably?

Ive noticed a tendency among hobbyists..and this is mentioned with
regularity among even the good honest machine tool dealers....

Hobbyists often want minty machines, but are not willing to pay the
price for one. Lots of tire kickers pass up perfectly good machines
because the paint isnt perfect, or the supply cord needs to be
replaced, or there are holes drilled in the table. When you get
something cheap..its likely to be worth what you paid for it. So you
apply sweat equity, or learn to use it as is.

As I recall St. T-nut saying (paraphrased)...**** the paint..use the
damned thing to make stuff.

Ive offered things to people they could absolutly use, for free..and
they didnt take it because it had a spot of rust, or the paint was
****ed up or it wasnt "perfect".n Then they moaned about not being
able to find a "widget Mod 0/Mrk 2"

I guess it depends on if you want to actually do something, or simply
have hanger queens you dabble with once in a while but can show off
like a trophy wife.

Personally...Id rather make stuff.

rant/off

...nothing personal towards you btw, I just felt the need G

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long