John Willis

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 02:09:21 -0500, scribbled
this interesting note:

Yes, this is wayyyyy overboard for many of you, but us farmers are
used to doing things like this. However, this one is a little
overwhelming even to me. I have a barn that is a steel barn with wood
framing. It's roughly 70 feet long and 30 feet wide. The bottom is
where animals used to go, and was originally rock walls. The top is a
heavily built wooden frame with tin on the sides and roof.

Mechanical railroad jacks do a fine job of this. The amount of lift
isn't all that much (six or eight inches at most) but the ones we have
are 30 ton jacks, mechanical, and can easily lift a house when
shimming a foundation, so your barn would be easy. The hard part in
this project, as you already know, is deciding how to spread the load
correctly so the structure stays stable and safe to work around.

Good luck.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)